Thread: Backlit keyboard not working on Toshiba M640

Beans

Backlit keyboard not working on Toshiba M640

Hi,

I have a Toshiba M640 Laptop that comes with a backlight keyboard (and hybrid graphic card intel/nvidia).
    I can't find a way to make it work under Ubuntu Lucid (even when I set the backlight keyboard to be on all the time in the BIOS, as soon as Ubuntu starts loading the backlight turns off and I can't turn it on again).
    The keyboard has a shorcut for turning it on (Fn + Z) but that is also not working (xev shows no activity when pressing it).
    On another Toshiba I have, as soon as you touch a key in the keyboard, the light goes on... but nothing happens on this one.
    Is there any way to turn it on/off from the command line? Do I need to install a package to make it work? I've been reading topics regarding this but they mostly apply to Macs and other brands.
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Backlit keyboard not working on Toshiba M640

Any ideas on this?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Backlit keyboard not working on Toshiba M640

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Ruiz View Post
    On another Toshiba I have, as soon as you touch a key in the keyboard, the light goes on... but nothing happens on this one.
    Hey, I'm a new user of brand new Toshiba A665-3DV and under Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 there is also NO backlight for keyboard. It works in BIOS, in windows and everytime, but as soon as it is starting kernel, backlight goes away.
    I googled for this a long time and I found somewhere that Toshiba changes radically their method of detecting function keys, like this FN+Z (which is also not working for me, even in xev, but some other works, but not all).
    So, if this laptop you mention is the other one, but the one of the older series, it could be working.

Our shiny new laptops are not working and this is a problem for me. I think this is probably caused by the lack of kernel drivers for those specific devices, and maybe it will change in the future. Right now I did not found any working solution for this.

Toshutils and toshset packages did not work either, saying there is no kernel module nor device enabled. So the problem is device/driver related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I have a Toshiba M645 S4118X and in Ubuntu 12.04, as above when i press fn+z there is an indicator of backlit, but nothing happens :S, i hope the driver is woriking soon...

Beans

Angry Re: Backlit keyboard not working on Toshiba M640

Same issue here...Any updates? It's kind of making me regret having Ubuntu as my main OS, since the backlit keyboard was one of the reasons I bought it.

Beans

I don't have the computer with me now, but did anyone try the 3.5 Kernel to see if that's solved?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've got an A665D. Has anyone had any luck with the backlit keyboard thing yet?

Beans

Same Problem with a Toshiba P850

Beans

Old thread closed.

Feel free to start a fresh.