Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to unintstall ubuntu, completely reformat hard drive

Beans

How to unintstall ubuntu, completely reformat hard drive

I installed ubuntu using a flash stick and I must have done it wrong as I cannot get access to the internet (to install more stuff)so I have to start over. I have searched but still don't know how to do it. Do I delete all the ubuntu files on mhy flash stick and then insert it in the drive or do I enter something at the command line? thanks for any help.

Beans

Re: How to unintstall ubuntu, completely reformat hard drive

If your install was sucessful and you have a functional desktop then there's no need to delete anything. You just need to configure your Network Interface.

Let us know whether it's dialup-modem, ethernet or wireless and whether it's built-in, pci, or USB. If you don't know open a Terminal and type in
    Code:
    ifconfig
    then Copy the output and Paste it here.

Beans

I have two computers. The one I am talking to you right now is a laptop with windows 7 installed (it came that way lol) which is connected to high speed dsl wirelessly to a home network I set up. The other is a desktop connected to the router with a cable, to the same network. I typed ifconfig at the ubuntu command prompt and cannot cut and paste to here but if you tell me what to look for in the output perhaps...there was so much stuff lol thanks. I'm thinking I messed up while installing, there was something about configuring the network, and it wouldn't let me go on if I didn't enter and address, so I entered the router address 192.168.1.1 but probably the last number should have been .100, or maybe I should have put 127.0.0.1 (as shown for my 'inet address' under lo for the output, and also I put for the mask 233.233.233.1 but here it shows 255.0.0.0 instead. I have always had trouble figuring what they want for these addresses.
    Last edited by Lakeside5; August 23rd, 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

I don't know how to configure my network interface. I've read some posts regarding that, but I would appreciate a little help, maybe step by step? I'm mjst looking at a command prompt, and wondering what to do. thanks.
    Last edited by Lakeside5; August 23rd, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Beans

for the desktop, goto the network applet on the right of your top toolbar (next to the date and right-click on it. Click "edit connections" and in the tab that pops up goto "wired", select eth0 and hit "edit" on the right.

It should have a MAC address already filled in, and MTU set to Automatic. Click 802.1x security and make sure that it is NOT checked. Click IPV4 settings and set it to "Automatic DHCP". Click IPV6 and choose "Ignore". Done, so click "Apply".

Try to log on with a browser

Beans

I'm still trying to understand you lol he computer I'm posting in this forum on is a laptop with WINDOWS and the computer I'm trying to configure is a desktop, that right now only gives me the command prompt, as I only installed the bare bones server off a flash drive. So...there is nothing to 'go to' or click, and I'm wondering how to proceed, as it keeps telling me it can't 'resolve that address' (for ANYTHING I type in after wget..) I have to tyupe in some kind of command there I guess, to fix the mess I must have made when installing it, like entering the wrong ip address or something. Can anyon help? thanks

Beans

grief-1, are you asking me to edit something with the computer I'm on NOW? (the windows laptop) If so I will have to use a windows command, and I'm not so familiar with windows anymore, having been with Linux for a bit. It seems I do both...not so well lol. This laptop is connected to my network wirelessly, but is probably the 'main' computer so I should maybe use it to edit connections?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Can you plug your laptop into the network with an Ethernet cable just to finish the setup. It updates faster and often you need to download a wireless driver.

Was there some reason to install a minimal server on the desktop? You can configure everything from the command line.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your patience with me I will plug my laptop into the router (keep in mind I have Windows on this laptop, not linux.) so then what do I do? I kind of need to know 'step by step' thanks. As for the install, I just downloaded the latest 10.04 server edition, with no gui. I don' know if it is 'minimal' or not, it just came that way, with no gui, just shows a command prompt. I read that the simpler the server the less security risks, and that having a gui etc. gives more vulnerability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside5 View Post
    I have two computers. The one I am talking to you right now is a laptop with windows 7 installed (it came that way lol) which is connected to high speed dsl wirelessly to a home network I set up. The other is a desktop connected to the router with a cable, to the same network. I typed ifconfig at the ubuntu command prompt and cannot cut and paste to here but if you tell me what to look for in the output perhaps...there was so much stuff lol thanks. I'm thinking I messed up while installing, there was something about configuring the network, and it wouldn't let me go on if I didn't enter and address, so I entered the router address 192.168.1.1 but probably the last number should have been .100, or maybe I should have put 127.0.0.1 (as shown for my 'inet address' under lo for the output, and also I put for the mask 233.233.233.1 but here it shows 255.0.0.0 instead. I have always had trouble figuring what they want for these addresses.

If it is a laptop, you should try clicking on the network applet (up by the audio applet) and if you find the network, connect to it.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast