Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: should i get ubuntu 64 bit..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: should i get ubuntu 64 bit..?

There have been a few teething problems with 64 bit Linux, but benchmark tests such as http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1 show an impressive improvement in performance for many situations. In the long run it is the way forward IMO.
    Last edited by worksofcraft; August 14th, 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: fix broken link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by worksofcraft View Post
    There have been a few teething problems with 64 bit Linux, but benchmark tests such as http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1 show an impressive improvement in performance for many situations. In the long run it is the way forward IMO.
    Here is some more meaningful information about the benchmarking and performance of 32 vs 64 Bit.

http://tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-9...bit-benchmarks

I guess for certain things like working with video or 3D rendering it does perform a LOT better. However as i didn't really do none of those things the stability of the 32 bit was more worth it.
    Code:
    int getRandomNumber()
      return 4; //Chosen by dice roll 
               //Guaranteed to be random.
    XKCD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

"DO NOT USE 64 BIT ON A DESKTOP INSTALL!!!!!!"

I have to disagree. 64-bit Ubuntu has worked very well for me the past couple of years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm a noob and went with 64 bit. Some small issues with Flash. The 32 bit wrapper works fine at YouTube, sometimes some issues with YouTube embedded on other sites but if I really want to see it I just go to YouTube. Other than that everything has been smooth. But I don't play games. otoh if you are a heavy gamer like my son it is doubtful you will play those under Ubuntu anyways.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TXpaniolo View Post
    I'm a noob and went with 64 bit. Some small issues with Flash. The 32 bit wrapper works fine at YouTube, sometimes some issues with YouTube embedded on other sites but if I really want to see it I just go to YouTube. Other than that everything has been smooth. But I don't play games. otoh if you are a heavy gamer like my son it is doubtful you will play those under Ubuntu anyways.
    good point.
    now that i have installed ubuntu 64bit and all softwares and drivers and all...
    i really need a good reason to remove and put 32 - bit (it will take roughly 1/10 of the time as i have all the updates ready)
    There and back again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TyLLy_4 View Post
    Here is some more meaningful information about the benchmarking and performance of 32 vs 64 Bit.

http://tuxradar.com/content/ubuntu-9...bit-benchmarks

I guess for certain things like working with video or 3D rendering it does perform a LOT better. However as i didn't really do none of those things the stability of the 32 bit was more worth it.
    Hum yes IDK why that link of mine stopped working, but evidently it depends what you do with your computer. While you may like unzipping Archives others are interested in Apache static web page serving. The graph looks like the one attached:

All the progams I use on my 64 bit installation work just fine and IMO it is demand for leading edge technology that fuels progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 2.png (22.0 KB, 0 views)
    Last edited by worksofcraft; August 14th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Another vote for 64 bit. As for flash follow the advice that wojax gave. The 64 alpha version is still out there and it works. You have nothing to lose by trying the 64 bit version. If for some reason it is a problem for you go back to the 32 bit version. The only real reason for not installing is not enough ram.

Beans
    Distro

I do some video transcoding to make videos for my mobile phone. I also intend to make some videos when i go to college from tomorrow.. will this affect my choice.
    Does git (or whatever) of ffmpeg works for 64-bit... i'll normally use openshot and avidemux...
    There and back again...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TyLLy_4 View Post
    I didn't mean to defame Ubuntu. i Just wouldn't recommend the 64bit version for desktop use.

I had lots of problems with:

1) Flash
    2) Compiz (i think relating to graphic card)
    3) Forcing Debs (Most of the time it broke something)
    4) Almost no games run acceptably on 64
    5) Random applications that i Would need that run perfectly on 32 Ex:
    GTK Radiant, Setup Makers, My PHP IDE, Map Compiler.
    1)flash is almost working fine (i didn't test everything)
    2)Comopiz works with AMD drivers
    3)I am going to try that, but i haven't yet come across a 32-bit only package.
    4)Never used one of them. (IDE problems have me worried.. anyone tested eclipse???)
    There and back again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rahilm View Post
    1)flash is almost working fine (i didn't test everything)
    2)Comopiz works with AMD drivers
    3)I am going to try that, but i haven't yet come across a 32-bit only package.
    4)Never used one of them. (IDE problems have me worried.. anyone tested eclipse???)
    Eclipse works flawless, I install that first on Ubuntu before anything else.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast