Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

Beans

Re: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

Thanks!! It was really useful. But I have an strange problem now. Sound works perfect in both Ubuntu and XBMC. But if I try running xbmc-standalone there's no sound at all. No one have tried? It only happens starting XBMC session from the beginning. If you close Gnome session and start XBMC session, the sound works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by dvm1982 View Post
    Thanks!! It was really useful. But I have an strange problem now. Sound works perfect in both Ubuntu and XBMC. But if I try running xbmc-standalone there's no sound at all. No one have tried? It only happens starting XBMC session from the beginning. If you close Gnome session and start XBMC session, the sound works.
    Scroll down to 'Part 3' here:
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=59877

Hmm, or maybe it's the alsa setup. Start from the top.

Beans

I'm running xbmc stand-alone from the xbmc svn ppa right now. It's rather unstable for me atm so I haven't done a lot of testing yet I'm waiting for the offical ppa to be back online. I do have audio though using plughw:1,9 for custom output and passthrough without setting up a /etc/asound.conf

Ensure the user that xbmc stand-alone is running under is part of the audio group. I think xbmc stand alone requires you to create the user xbmc and add them to the necessary groups. My default user is xbmc so I don't have to mess with this stuff.

Xbmc should set this up automagically if not. List all users.

Code:
    cat /etc/passwd | cut -d":" -f1
    or simply cat /etc/passwd

If xbmc doesn't exist add them.

Code:
    sudo adduser xbmc --gecos XBMC
    If they do exist check the groups for xbmc

Code:
    groups xbmc
    To add the necessary groups

Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G audio,video,netdev,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc
    only using --group as described in the links below or -G will strip any current groups and replace them with those defined above -a -G will add groups alongside any preexisting ones.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...eBox_PC_EB1501
    Last edited by tjones00; August 19th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Beans

Finally it worked but I really don't know how, because I changed so many things in so many places :S. I added my user to the groups you said and used custom output plughw:1,7. But the sounds for the menus are lost! However, I can hear music and movies so it's enough for me

Beans

The lost menu noises using sound over hdmi is a xbmc issue if you dig around their forums/tutorials there is a fix.

Personally I find the ticking annoying so I actually prefer that it's broken.

I've now installed xbmc from the team-xbmc ppa and I'm not crashing anymore I played about 4hrs of mkv files last night. Using nvidia 256.44 drivers with vdpau enabled.

I'll try to keep any xmbc tweaking on the Lenovo Q150 thread at the xbmc forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by tjones00 View Post
    The lost menu noises using sound over hdmi is a xbmc issue if you dig around their forums/tutorials there is a fix.

Personally I find the ticking annoying so I actually prefer that it's broken.

I've now installed xbmc from the team-xbmc ppa and I'm not crashing anymore I played about 4hrs of mkv files last night. Using nvidia 256.44 drivers with vdpau enabled.

I'll try to keep any xmbc tweaking on the Lenovo Q150 thread at the xbmc forums.
    Wow. I just want to thank tjones00 for his efforts here. Good job! If you would please mark the thread solved using 'Thread Tools' up top so others will know there is a solution here

Beans

lol thx lidex I was trying to figure out how to do that last night.

I'm not much of a forum user. I'll watch this post for a couple more days in case questions come up then it's back to the interwebs with me.

I still have to solve fixing the hdmi alias in alsa.conf that should just entail finding the alias definition and switching whats probably 3 to 9 then putting the probemask back on to list only 1 device instead of 4. Then everything should be "proper".

For now I've moved onto upgrading xbmc codec issues since the wife is wants her m2ts blueray files.

Beans

I just got the Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW, long name, and it has an ION2. I am running into this same problem where the audio drivers don't detect the nvidia hdmi output. However, when I install the audio drivers via the instructions, when I go to reboot, ubuntu just stops at the splash screen and doesn't get any further. How can I figure out what's going wrong with this upgrade? Thanks.

Beans

Hi and yay a Jetway!

Hmmm I never encountered anything like this when upgrading alsa.

From the description you've posted I'm more inclined to think it's a graphics driver error.

If you can get to a terminal during the hangup (ctrl+alt+f2) use dmesg to check your kernel boot log.

First try replacing the kernel boot paramater "quiet splash" with "noplymouth" at the grub menu this will give a verbose output of the boot process instead of the splash.

If it still hangs up and the verbose output or dmesg didn't give you any clues try adding nomodeset. "nomodeset noplymouth"

If that works your Nvidia driver install might have gotten messed up. To me this sounds like you installed the 256.44 NVIDIA*.run file from the Nvidia website and didn't blacklist nouveau etc. before compiling.

If you still can't figure out whats happening boot in recovery mode and check the logs in /var/log and look at one of the old dmesg.* logs from when your system got stuck.

Beans

I also have just got the very same Jetway Mini-TOP. I have exactly the same problem--the audio drivers do not detect the nvidia HDMI out [fyi, the box also has a toslink optical out, which the system DOES recognize, but I have not tested its functionality yet as my amp w/optical in is in storage].

When I install the audio drivers via the instructions here (or anyone else's instructions I've found on the web), I have the same problem--ubuntu stops at the splash screen; it is not possible to get to a terminal at the hangup. VERY frustrating. I've done it several times now in the last 2 days with fresh installs of ubuntu 10.04, using the default NVIDIA drivers (mmm, v192.something?) provided via ubuntu, and using the new 256.44 NVIDIA drivers downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website, and I believe I blacklisted nouveau--the 256.44 driver package said it would do it. I will try *again* to make sure that the nouveau is blacklisted from a clean install, but it'll be the 3rd time tonight I reinstall ubuntu, recompile/reinstall the new alsa, etc, kind of time consuming and my patience is wearing thin for this evening.

On boot the noplymouth response hangs at, hmm,
    * Speech-dispatcher configured for user sessions
    * Starting Common Unix Printing System:cupsd

and then gives me some garbage about the CPU#0 not responding for 61sec over and over again.

When I access the 'Recovery Menu', the system stalls after about 15 seconds, so if I don't make a selection quickly it gives me an error like it is doing on the TV right now:
    [ 79.457005] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 61s! [modprobe:467]
    This is the same error message visible when I change 'quiet splash' to 'noplymouth'.

I don't *think* there's any hardware failure, it's all brand new and clean installs of ubuntu work just fine (of course, the clean install does not do HDMI audio out, which is the problem).

The problem is compounded by the fact that my idiot samsung 7000 series LCD apparently ONLY takes HDMI video + HDMI audio--you can't source HDMI video to input 1 and pair that with audio input 1, that is reserved for DVI input only...yeah I know, get an amp to combine the toslink and HDMI signals or run it DVI+stereo but I'd prefer to do neither of those things for this particular setup.

I really hope someone can figure out this particular issue, because the Jetway Mini-TOP really is a nice little package (if the stupid HDMI audio can be resolved).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast