Thread: CIFS VFS error connecting to socket

Beans

CIFS VFS error connecting to socket

I am posting this in case it helps someone with the same problem.

I am using Lucid. I moved computers around and the one I began using could not see the rest of the network; although the other computers on the network could see it. When booting I would get the message "CIFS VFS error connecting to socket. Aborting operation." and "CIFS_mount failed". I tried some fixes from the forums that did not work. Finally, I looked at /etc/fstab on one of the other computers and I found that there were some lines on the misbehaving computer:

The server samba share
    \\\\192.168.1.100\\data /media/server_public cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,uni code 0 0
    /tmp/hfsimage /macdisk hfs defaults,noauto,user,loop 0 0

I commented them out and rebooted. All is good now.
    Last edited by ncpokrt; August 13th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Beans

Re: CIFS VFS error connecting to socket

Quote Originally Posted by ncpokrt View Post
    I am posting this in case it helps someone with the same problem.

I am using Lucid. I moved computers around and the one I began using could not see the rest of the network; although the other computers on the network could see it. When booting I would get the message "CIFS VFS error connecting to socket. Aborting operation." and "CIFS_mount failed". I tried some fixes from the forums that did not work. Finally, I looked at /etc/fstab on one of the other computers and I found that there were some lines on the misbehaving computer:

The server samba share
    \\\\192.168.1.100\\data /media/server_public cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,uni code 0 0
    /tmp/hfsimage /macdisk hfs defaults,noauto,user,loop 0 0

I commented them out and rebooted. All is good now.

Thanks ncpokrt! I was having this exact issue and your post was very helpful