Thread: How do I know I have the correct driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

How do I know I have the correct driver?

My touchpad is behaving erratically. I don't seem to be able to configure the touchpad and mouse options to reign it it. Perhaps I don't have the correct/latest driver installed. How do I check whether I've got the latest driver?

New install, Kubuntu 10.4 updated automatically. HP DV6-3048TX. It has a Synaptics Touchpad.

Essentially what I'm seeking is to disable all the advanced options except pointer movement and right and left clicks, but at present the pointer is nearly impossible to control.

P.S. On Windows 7 Pro X64, I have version 6.4 of the driver. The touchpad features are a terrible nuisance, but at least it's not behaving totally erratically, therefore I don't think it's a hardware fault.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I know I have the correct driver?

what do you mean by 'erratic'? are there invisible vertical and horizontal scrollbars on the trackpad or something? that sort of thing can be disabled. or perhaps you mean the sensitivity is out of whack?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How do I know I have the correct driver?

hi aeiah,

No, I have already disabled scrolling and tapping. Two examples of the behaviour I get:

If I have multiple tabs opened in my browser and hover my pointer over one of the tabs while preparing my left finger to click on the tab, suddenly the active window starts to switch frantically across all available windows.

If I try to control the cursor to the right of this browser window it will settle either for the top or the bottom but won't stay in an intermediate position.