Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: R help

I am going to avoid getting myself into the middle of most of this,

(I left my flame proof pants at home and I've already managed to get sucked into a discussion of EMACS v Vim in this thread.)

but I should not that help.start() is a local function. It does not (on my Linux box) reach out to R on the interwebs. It will work just fine locally. I show it as being located at:

http://127.0.0.1:15801/doc/html/index.html

IIRC, Newish versions of R include an embedded web-server. I don't know which web-server and it only starts if you do the help.start(), AFAIK.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    (I left my flame proof pants at home and I've already managed to get sucked into a discussion of EMACS v Vim in this thread.)
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I've been teasing EMACS users for 20+ years now.

What I've appreciated from this thread is that out of ignorance I never bothered to look up the local R documentation, so I've learned something new. Long ago I had downloaded several PDFs and I have basically used them and the "?" command (mostly the "?" command, really). I didn't even know about help.start().

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah - well if it makes you feel any better, I tend to do the exact same thing -- read the PDF files that I have stored on my computer and use ?, and I knew about help.start(). For some reason, I never got into the habit of using it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is one of the big reasons that I use rkward, the access to the HTML help files is so direct and easy.
    Earlycj5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

One of the help feature that is included in R for OS X that for some reason isn't done the same way on R for Windows (sorry, don't have it installed on my latest install of Ubuntu yet for comparison) is the 'Vignettes' under the Help menu in the R gui. Basically it opens up a menu window with a series of short pdfs on various topics - and you can get others from CRAN, such as HSAUR (Handbook of Statistical Analysis Under R), for example. You can preview each one in a small viewer window, or open them fully in Adobe Acrobat or whatever your preferred PDF viewer is. I was really disappointed to find this particular aspect of the R gui didn't make it over to the Windows port - from what I've heard, its a Mac-only thing for some reason.
    Last edited by memilanuk; August 15th, 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did not know about HSAUR -- THANKS!

R is an enigmatic tool. There should be a sticky full of tricks and tips.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post
    I did not know about HSAUR -- THANKS!

R is an enigmatic tool. There should be a sticky full of tricks and tips.
    gunksta,

I agree. I really like this page:
    http://pj.freefaculty.org/R/Rtips.html
    It doesn't give much intuition or structured teaching. But sometimes tips and trick are good enough by themselves!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12