Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 has taken over

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: windows 7 has taken over

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is completely incorrect and misleading information.
    Whenever I have install Windows it has trashed pre-existing Ubuntu installations and/or my boot setup. IMHO you need to either install Windows first and then add Ubuntu or disconnect your working Linux drives when installing Windows.

However if you can explain another way to install windows safely without risking your Linux setup then do feel free to give more accurate instructions!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by worksofcraft View Post
    Whenever I have install Windows it has trashed pre-existing Ubuntu installations and/or my boot setup. IMHO you need to either install Windows first and then add Ubuntu or disconnect your working Linux drives when installing Windows.

However if you can explain another way to install windows safely without risking your Linux setup then do feel free to give more accurate instructions!
    My main gripe was your statement that every single update from MS will wipe Ubuntu. That's not just a bit wrong, it's a complete lie.

You can install Windows after Linux, you just need to use a LiveCD to reinstall grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My main gripe was your statement that every single update from MS will wipe Ubuntu. That's not just a bit wrong, it's a complete lie.

You can install Windows after Linux, you just need to use a LiveCD to reinstall grub.
    OK I've edited it now so it only says it CAN trash your Linux. However I don't consider it was a "complete lie" because having to use a live Ubuntu installation disk after doing your Windows upgrade counts as a trashed installation in my book: Imagine if you had to use a live Windows CD to restore Windows after upgrading Ubuntu! Also I had worse problems than a corrupted boot partition, so it's not worth the risk TBH, just unplug the cable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Aye, but I've not actually seen a Windows update change the bootloader. I'm not sure it's ever been patched?

Beans

Yeah, been running a Win7 Ubuntu dual boot for a year now.... the only updates that have trashed my Ubuntu install have been *gasp* Ubuntu updates. While there are lots of people who install their OSes with only one disk installed and then use the boot selector in BIOS, it's not the only, or even most proper, way to dual boot (Win98 installs on the second disk aside).
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Aye, but I've not actually seen a Windows update change the bootloader.
    +1

I've been running multi-boot systems with various versions of MS Windows since Ubuntu 7.04 -- and never ONCE, has a Windows Update messed with GRUB (or more recently, GRUB2) in any way.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Well I checked again and I still cant boot right. If you type "sudo grub" in to your terminal you will see:

(alot of words here)

grub>

That is what I see on start up. Also I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I am on a laptop.

Beans

Odd. But yes, when you install an OS such as Windows, it overrights GRUB.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I'm about ready to do a clean install. I don't have nothing major on my hard drive that I can't reinstall again. But before I do could I install Ubuntu again on a separate partition (then I would have 3), then delete the old Ubuntu and keep my old files? Then hope to have everything working right?

Again thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by texasboy2084 View Post
    Well I checked again and I still cant boot right. If you type "sudo grub" in to your terminal you will see:

(alot of words here)

grub>

That is what I see on start up. Also I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I am on a laptop.
    sudo update-grub
    if you need a fast live cd for testing or anything really:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...70#post9715370
    boots live in just 82MB of ram, no swap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast