Thread: Possible to run 2.6.30 with Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop?

Beans

Possible to run 2.6.30 with Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop?

Hello all,

I'm working on a project where I need to sanity check some things using hardware performance counters. I'm using the perfmon2 library which needs a patched kernel 2.6.30 (as far as I can tell this and earlier kernels are the only ones supported).

I have built 2.6.30 with the patches and it works, but only in console mode. I guess something happened with udev between versions because the first error I get is "unable to mount none on /dev" and from there on X starts up fine but the mouse and keyboard don't work. According to this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1435968 the problem lies in the old kernel.

I can do alt+sysRq+r to grab the keyboard from X and then drop to a text console and do my work there (the performance counters work great), but nothing else works (X, wifi can't associate, etc). So I'm wondering is there any workaround so I can use my computer as normal with 2.6.30 on Ubuntu desktop 10.04 amd64?

Alternatively, is there a performance counter library that works with 2.6.32 ?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Possible to run 2.6.30 with Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop?

im using 2.6.35 pae with no trouble, you can update your synaptic repo tab by changing "lucid" by "maverick", update then only install the new kernel (headers + image) then change back to "lucid" and update again to clean the repo, and that it.

Beans

Or another option on installing the newest kernel, if you do feel like it, is to copy and paste this into the terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo aptitude install linux-headers-2.6.35-15-generic linux-image-2.6.35-15-generic

You can then use Synaptic every once in a while to see if there is a newer one out, as, sadly, they don't auto-update.

Oh, and the 'pae' version is available as well.

Beans

Sorry, I'm not sure how you guys got the impression that I wanted to run a newer kernel than what I currently have, but it's actually the opposite: I currently have 2.6.32 running fine, but I want to run 2.6.30 ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm pretty sure the reason that the patches only support up to 2.6.30 is because they were integrated into the mainline kernel in 2.6.31. See: http://anton.ozlabs.org/blog/2009/09...ers-for-linux/

The 2.6.32 Ubuntu kernel has this turned on:

Code:
    $ grep PERF_COUNT /boot/config-`uname -r`
    CONFIG_PERF_COUNTERS=y
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

EDIT: oh -- I see... huh I wonder why when I run pfmon it doesn't detect the right sys/ directories that it looks for it with my 2.6.32 kernel ...

Thanks for the heads up -- I will try to investigate further ...

EDIT2: I see -- pfmon is part of an old branch which uses a different set of kernel interfaces (pre 2.6.31) and libpfm4 uses a new set of interfaces that have been merged into latest kernels. Awesome, thanks!
    Last edited by theshwam; August 12th, 2010 at 05:46 PM.