Thread: PiTivi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

PiTivi

Hello,

I would like to add some text to a video I am editing. I would just like to create a sequence
    with a few frames of text with a black background. I tried using open office and gedit to accomplice this but PiTivi doesn't like text.

So what will I need to do to get this done?

Beans
    Distro

Re: PiTivi

Look for PiTiVi video tutorials on YouTube. Possible help there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by weedwacker View Post
    Look for PiTiVi video tutorials on YouTube. Possible help there.
    Yeah I found the manual for it on the developer's website. Not to helpful. Apparently the next version of this program will have effects. Oh well will have to wait. The base of this program is good though.

I tried a few of the the other editing programs. Open movie crashed and reset my pc on opening.

I have settled on Kdenlive. I was able to do what I want with it. Based on my limited testing of it last night. Now if it has the full frame exposure that PiTivi has then I will be totally happy for easier editing.

Beans

Pitivi likes PNG ... and especially transparent ones

So create a picture with your video's resolution within GIMP (e.g. 1280x720) with transparent background. Add your text.
    Save the GIMP-picture as PNG.

Open up Pitivi, import the PNG-picture into the media-library and pull this picture into the "track"-view.
    Import your video too, drag it into the track-view too, but below the picture.

Now you should see your text in front of the video.

Adjust the track-length of your PNG-resource to match the desired duration of your text.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a quick, shameless plug for the latest OpenShot (1.4.2) video editor. It uses Blender for some awesome 3D text effects, and Inkscape for advanced text. It's own text engine is great for simple text arrangements too. Simple GUI, does it for me.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!