Thread: Small Booting Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Small Booting Issue

I'm having small boot issue with my present Linux box, which is presently running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. When booting from a Live CD, Ubuntu 9.xx+ or any other linux variant I have, the machine will come to a complete stop about half way into the boot process. I think this may have something to do with the WiFi card that I have installed. Are there any suggestions that could help me remedy this problem short of removing the card itself??

Much thanks in advance.

Tycho

Beans
    Distro

Re: Small Booting Issue

Did you check the integrity of the cd.There is an option when booting from the cd.What CPU are you using how much ram you have.

Beans
    Distro

The system has a 3.2 GHz P4 & 1GB of ram. I had been able to boot from a live CD with no problem before adding the wireless card, but now it just seems to get stuck or stall. The Live CDs i have are fine. I've even run a lens cleaner in the drive n still i have the same issue.

Beans
    Distro

If it matters any, the WiFi Card I'm using is a TRENDnet Wireless TEW-423PI.

Beans

While booting, press 'shift' key to bring up advance boot menu. There, press F6 and check the following:

acpi=off
    noapic
    nolapic
    nomodeset
    If this allows you to boot successfully, then perhaps you need to look for a proprietary driver for your WiFi card.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

I tried as you suggested, but nothing happened. For proprietary drivers, if you mean the drivers that came with the card, I already have those installed.

Beans

As per your first post-
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho59 View Post
    I'm having small boot issue with my present Linux box, which is presently running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. When booting from a Live CD, Ubuntu 9.xx+ or any other linux variant I have, the machine will come to a complete stop about half way into the boot process.
    I assume that the driver you've installed is in 8.04 LTS, and the other versions you are trying only with live CDs not a native installation. If so, then the installed driver has nothing to do with LiveCD environment.

A few questions:

1. Have you tried booting without the card installed? If not, do it now & post here how it goes.
    2. Did the driver CD have a driver for linux? If not, then how did you install the driver? (ndiswrapper?)
    3. Which variants have you tried so far? If not already tried, I'd suggest Mint9 (may serve as permanent OS) or Slax (just to see if it succeeds to boot with the card).
    4. Have you tried the same options I told in my earlier post with 9.10? Try them now if you already haven't.

If the computer can boot & run successfully without the card, then I'd suggest to make a native installation of Karmik or Lucid in a separate partition (dual boot). Once it is installed & running fine, then install the card again and try to boot & see how it goes.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

I've tried ubuntu 9.10 & 10.04 as well as mint 9 & all of them have the same issue. No problem booting with out the card installed. I've set it up as a dual boot for now.

Beans

I googled for linux/ubuntu + TRENDnet Wireless TEW-423PI related issues but none of the results were like yours (not even able to boot!).

Besides, a review on amazon.com said it worked 'out-of-box' with linux (distro/ver. wasn't mentioned). On the forums also there are many threads that say it worked out-of-box with Intrepid Ibex (e.g. this & this) or with ndiswrapper (other versions) but none had the boot problem.

I'm sure you also must have already come across the above search results, and that's why I was suggesting Slax. Based on knoppix and geared towards optimized networking experience, maybe it can give us some positive results.
    Due to uniqueness of your problem, I'm also suspicious about a hardware combination issue (like weak PSU, a defect causing power-overdraw, a possible conflict during boot-time configuration of network interfaces, et.). But these may be meaningless if you are able to boot & work flawlessly with another OS.

By the way, what are your current dual boot OSes? Are they both working without issues with the card installed?
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

I have my machine dual booting 8.04 Hardy Heron & 10.04 Lucid Lynx. After setting up dual boot, installing the cards drivers n updates, everything seems to be working just fine now,