Thread: Please help!! Mac os 10.4 ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Please help!! Mac os 10.4 ubuntu 8.04

So I downloaded ubuntu not knowing it was totally take over my Mac. I'm nervous it may have deleted everything off my memory and now idk how to get it back! When I start it up it boots with ubuntu only! How do I get it to boot up the Mac os? And did installing this delete everything from my harddrive/partition!?

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Please help!! Mac os 10.4 ubuntu 8.04

Restart your computer, when you see the "Grub" boot loader screen appear use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to select which operating system you want to use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grafens View Post
    Restart your computer, when you see the "Grub" boot loader screen appear use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to select which operating system you want to use.
    The grub bootloader doesn't pop up. It say push l for something/Linux or c to boot CD rom. I push l and ubuntu comes up

Beans
    Hidden!

You know you're using a 2 year old ubuntu, so things are a bit different now. I'm not sure I recall all the stuff from 2 years ago.

Unless you selected to use your entire disk when the installation promted for partitioning advice, then your mac partition is still there. But you probably have a hidden grub screen and you're not seeing the option to select it.

Post the contents on /boot/grub/menu.lst file and the output from this command in a terminal:

sudo fdisk -l

Also, if there is a file called /etc/default/grub, post it's contents also.

From these we should be able to help you make your grub menu appear when you're booting.

Take a look at these files yourself, and it may be self explanatory of how to edit them.

Beans

When your computer first boots up, hold down the option key until you see two hard drive icons. Use the arrow keys or the mouse to select the Mac OS X one. This will boot you into Mac OS X. From your Mac OS X account, you can open Disk Utility /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and remove the Ubuntu partition-that is, if you don't want it. The Ubuntu partition is probably /dev/sda3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BriceHulse View Post
    When your computer first boots up, hold down the option key until you see two hard drive icons. Use the arrow keys or the mouse to select the Mac OS X one. This will boot you into Mac OS X. From your Mac OS X account, you can open Disk Utility /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and remove the Ubuntu partition-that is, if you don't want it. The Ubuntu partition is probably /dev/sda3.
    Ok so I got it to come up but my Mac os isn't there... Did all my information get deleted!?
    Last edited by Thuck; August 12th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck View Post
    The grub bootloader doesn't pop up. It say push l for something/Linux or c to boot CD rom. I push l and ubuntu comes up
    First, the bootloader for PPCs is yaboot, not GRUB.

After you press 'l', there should be another screen where you can choose which variation of the OS to load. Press TAB to get a list of all of them. One of them should be your old OSX. If not, you have installed Ubuntu over top of it. In that case, you will have to reinstall OSX in another boot partition.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.