Thread: Island map for game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Island map for game

I spent a few hours creating a shore line of an island that im going to use for a video game and i was wondering how to make it look like terrain for a bump map. than i was also wondering how to make a really good looking terrain texture map with gimp.

oh yeah- how come transparent objects in blender dont let the light pass through? like if i but a cone over a cylinder to make a tree, you cant see the other side when i map it to transparent... is that a problem?

when i made an earth model a while ago, i wanted to put an atmosphere on it, so i just make a translucent sphere over the earth, but all i could see was the clouds and the new sphere i put over it, it obscured the earth and looked terrible. how do i make objects appear under other translucent objects?

i plan on making more islands.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chips24; August 10th, 2010 at 01:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Island map for game

Here is the outline without the glow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well, im not petty too far down here, but its been 24 hours...

Beans

I have been working on similar things and added Bryce 5,5 to my collection of 3d software .....

It will run in Linux under wine too ....... here is how I got it running .... LINK

I create most things initially in wings3d as its fast ..... then transfer as 3ds files into Blender

I also had a go at creating the Earth ..... and have had little success in getting the appearance that I wanted

ok I created a Blender file and a 3ds file and a wings3d file of the outline of this Island

I will post the files on the link above .... so that you can copy them ..... if you want to use the 3D files

Usually need to create a surface

Ok The file here has just the faces - a flat island .... Blender File Flat 461 kb

This is no where near perfect yet ,,, but by choice and selection you may be able to make this much better
    at the moment it is set inside paths - convert it to mesh to work on it ...
    The outline is good and using the sculpt tool in Blender we now have a terrain ....
    The polygon count is too high though 9755 ....

I have put it into Bryce 5.5 just to make sure that it can be imported into it ,,,
    NEW Screenshot

There is obviously a lot more work needs to be done to the Island before you put it into
    any other program for rendering,

Here is a quick one with a little terrain on it ........ Start Terrain Blender File

oh yeah- how come transparent objects in blender dont let the light pass through? like if i but a cone over a cylinder to make a tree, you cant see the other side when i map it to transparent... is that a problem?
    I think they do ...... let light pass through ,,,, using yafray raytracer and I am sure I have some that I did with light passing through
    one person that will be able to show you what blender is capable of is on this site .......
    I have a link somewhere to some of the amazing things it can do ...... here

Check some of the links down at the bottom of that page ...... as well as the others ..... you can learn loads.

Here is another example (architectural glass blender)

For creating the Earth - check this out
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; August 12th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've tried running the "building earth with blender" and it just came out gray, however i am impressed with the gallery on that one page. i was also wondering if there was a way for me to look at the x, y, and z coordinates without pressing the keys on the number pad. and by the way, thank you.

Beans

Cheers .... you might want to join BlenderArtists - Forum
    it has lots of brilliant artists and designers and it is a great place to
    learn things ..... do a search or ask the questions you want answering.

Blender related questions have more chance of getting answered on these
    type of forums .... due to the amount of people that specifically work on this
    application.

No problem wherever you post but if I need answers for Blender problems
    I look at the Blender sites first. (for the answer to the X Y Z co-ordinates)

Pressing N - should give you what you want here

Its just taken me 4 months solid to get to grips with Blender 2.49b now is the
    time to change for me and to get used to Blender 2.53 as this is the way forward

Although I am struggling with the latest version of Blender 2.53 ..... it took months
    with the Old Blender layout and now it seems like a totally different program to me ....

It probably suits users coming from other systems more as I think they have tried to standardise things
    ( but I am finding it difficult........ as I have just got used to the old version )
    I read here that a lot of people seem to like it - but for me it has come at the wrong time .....
    as I now have to try to understand the basics ...... (Window arrangement has become
    a nightmare for me .... and even simple things like moving around the view
    I find awkward) there is a fly command and I can never remember it .... was simple before
    just click on the camera and move it where you wanted ..... why this seems to have
    gone I do not know ....... maybe someone knows .........

For anybody starting out with Blender I would advise that ..... they are better off getting used to the new 2.53 layout .....
    as this is what they will now be building on ..... and upgrading.

I am going to try to get into this so if I find anything useful I will post it HERE
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; August 13th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

what i meant was, i dont have a number pad for my laptop, how do i get the top, side and front view?

Beans

Ctrl + ALT + Q ....... gives a Quad view

or you can go to the bottom left on the menu line under the 3D view ......

Quad Views

Choose View ...... Top ...... (or whichever you need)

Menu Choices
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; August 15th, 2010 at 02:51 AM.