Thread: Opposite of X11 + SSH Forwarding over Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Opposite of X11 + SSH Forwarding over Windows

Hey everybody,

I recently started messing with using SSH on Ubuntu and XMing + Putty on Windows to remote-forward an application to the windows desktop environment, like seamless mode in VirtualBox/VMWare.

Here is a guide (http://solaris.reys.net/how-to-x11-f...tty-and-xming/)

So now you know what I'm talking about - but can you do the opposite of this? Remote Windows applications over to the Linux Desktop Environment instead of having to use a fullblown virtual machine or WINE?

I can clarify if needed! It sounds very interesting to me - but I didn't really know how to word it to search around on Google!

Thanks.
    Last edited by JustinR; August 9th, 2010 at 06:17 AM.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Opposite of X11 + SSH Forwarding over Windows

afaik, there are no free "forwarding" agents so you can forward specific programs to your machine when you are remotely connecting to the Windows machine. Remote desktop would work but is obviously something different.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Opposite of X11 + SSH Forwarding over Windows

I think Citrix does to a degree, but I assume you are actually looking for something feasible...

I'm not sure if something like that exists... All I can think of is running apps on WINE on a remote box... Then you can forward them via X11...

If someone could tweak windows to draw to an x server the way WINE does by using WINE's driver? http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/winex11.drv/
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.