Thread: Two questions about guaranty of my laptop.

Beans

Two questions about guaranty of my laptop.

Hi,

first question: does the guaranty also usually cover the display in laptops for the same time as the rest of the components in the laptop? My problem is NOT with pixels, is other stuff.

second question: I raplaced Windows by Ubuntu, will I have problems because of it?

Javi

Beans

Re: Two questions about guaranty of my laptop.

It's up to the manufacturer regarding what they will cover in terms of repairs. If there is a problem with the screen that isn't with pixels, then as long as it's a manufacturing defect, then the manufacturer will cover it.

As for installing Ubuntu, again that depends on the manufacturer. The manufacturer warranty will usually not cover software, so there shouldn't be a problem if Ubuntu is installed. The warranty is more likely to cover hardware failure.

Beans

The manufacturer may be unable or unwilling to provide software support if you're running Ubuntu. If you call them to complain about problems with sound or video, for instance, you're likely to hear "We don't support Linux."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The best thing to do would be to read the warranty. But neither of those should be a problem.

Beans

If you send the unit in, be sure to back up all your data first. And, frankly, don't be surprised if it comes back with a Windows install on it, since generally manufacturers are reluctant to support anything that didn't ship.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    If you send the unit in, be sure to back up all your data first. And, frankly, don't be surprised if it comes back with a Windows install on it, since generally manufacturers are reluctant to support anything that didn't ship.
    This.

I've had to send a couple laptops in for repairs and even tho I reimaged them before sending them in, they came back with a already set up copy of Windows.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    This.

I've had to send a couple laptops in for repairs and even tho I reimaged them before sending them in, they came back with a already set up copy of Windows.
    And this is simply because the goal with a manufacturer or servicer is not to troubleshoot your system to the nth degree. The goal is to get the hardware in and out of their shop as rapidly as possible. After all, you want your device back ASAP, and there's a hundred or several hundred right behind it who's owners want their stuff back ASAP, too.

I used to work for a major computer manufacturer, and while it's true we would do certain kinds of basic troubleshooting with the customer first, there would eventually come a point, whether we were looking at this as a potential hardware issue or not, where it no longer behooved either the customer or the tech to spend any more time on it. Nuke it, see what happens.

After all, ultimately, if you nuke-n-pave it and the problem is gone, it was software. If not, it's hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    After all, ultimately, if you nuke-n-pave it and the problem is gone, it was software. If not, it's hardware.
    Yep. Clean slate and all that.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...