Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Transfer of files to iPad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

USB Transfer of files to iPad

I was wondering if on Linux, there is a way to transfer files to the root of the iPad (it is jailbroken), much like you can on mac and windows using iPhone Explorer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: USB Transfer of files to iPad

You can probably do this if you enable SSH. You should then be able to use 'Places' > 'Connect to Server' and enter the SSH details.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I thought iPads didn't have USB capability.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

@Forrestcupp: They're not supposed to. But you can if you use a program that allows it, such as iPhoneExplorer. You can then get into the root if you've jailbroken it.

I have solved my issue, by using a program named scp. It uses SSH as the base, I think, and it's a command line app, but it does its job well.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimleko211 View Post
    @Forrestcupp: They're not supposed to. But you can if you use a program that allows it, such as iPhoneExplorer. You can then get into the root if you've jailbroken it.
    So it has a USB port?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    So it has a USB port?
    It can connect to a PC via USB but doesn't have any ports of its own (like the iPhone). You can transfer stuff to/from it, but you can't stick in a flash drive etc.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    It can connect to a PC via USB but doesn't have any ports of its own (like the iPhone). You can transfer stuff to/from it, but you can't stick in a flash drive etc.
    Exactly, that's what I mean. I mean plugging my iPad into the computer and then transferring files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Jimleko211 View Post
    Exactly, that's what I mean. I mean plugging my iPad into the computer and then transferring files.
    You can transfer files from a USB stick if it is jail broken and you have the camera connection kit. I believe the ifile app from the cydia store will work for that. Ifile also has a server function that will allow you to browse the file system on the iPad from a remote system using the remote system's web browser. Ifile also has a text editor and other useful features. Definitely worth checking into on a jail broken iPad. With a little work and some ingenuity you can use a jailbroken iPad as a laptop replacement.

Beans

Just install this AMAZING!! application called Goodreader from App store and you are sorted. (It is cheap even at 10 times its price, just proced at $ 0.99)
    Not only it's an excellent document (PDF,DOC.etc) reader it provides the simplest way to connect to your iPAD by converting it into a WebDAV server instantaneously (over the WiFi).No USB required at all.

iPAD
    On your iPAD click on the Goodreader icon > Connect to Servers > Click on the Wireless icon on the bottom panel
    This will provide you the connect URL and port for your iPAD
    For instance, in my case (http://192.168.1.2:8080)

Ubuntu
    You can then goto Ubuntu > Places > Connect to Server... > WebDAV (HTTP) and give the IP Address and port that you get for above step.

That's all. Create new folders, put your PDFs, docs even video files.

I found this application extremely useful since I need not to go to Windows to transfer/manage files/folders nor I need to carry my USB stuff always.

I guess it can even handle images, but I need to still test that.
    Last edited by abhi.datt; September 30th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Talk about bringing stuff back to life....
    Ubuntu 12.04 (best thing after 10.04) |Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz|1 Gb DDR2 RAM|Nvidia 8600GM| This PC was bartered for with an iRock from ancient Mesopotamia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast