Thread: GPT vs. MS-DOS Partition Table

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

GPT vs. MS-DOS Partition Table

Is there a difference between using GPT partition table when formating hard drives and MS-DOS partition table? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using either?
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans

Re: GPT vs. MS-DOS Partition Table

Try reading this wiki article which has a good explanation of what is involved.
    Note that not all hardware or OS support the GPT system
    Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: GPT vs. MS-DOS Partition Table

Thank you, that article was very helpful. I wonder if others with experience can chime in, but what I would like to know is whether there is a performance boost/advantage of using GPT as opposed to MS-DOS (besides the obvious ability of GPT to have partitions > 2.2 TB).

I had previously always used MS-DOS, but with my install of Lucid, I used GPT. I'm wondering if using GPT (and not MS-DOS) is affecting in any way my ability to use BURG over GRUB2. When I tried BURG, it said that it was installed properly, but when I rebooted it would not "kick in." When I tried removing it, it deleted my GRUB2. When I booted into my backup Karmic partition and tried to restore GRUB2, I got an error message saying that GPT didn't support writing to the MBR and recommended I use the --force flag for grub-install. I did ultimately get my GRUB2 back, but was wondering if this is a concern at all under MS-DOS partition table.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7