Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redhat contributes 16 X more than Canonical to Gnome

Beans

Re: Redhat contributes 16 X more than Canonical to Gnome

The Red Hat support is important, of course, but also nobody has mentioned their hardware certification program. Think about how many threads on UbuntuForums are hardware-driver related...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    CentOS offers support though, dont they?

Sure, you could get a spin off with the same tested operating system re-branded for free, but what you are really paying for is vital support for your company when things go wrong.

Tech support is obscenely expensive. I have probably used up 300k worth of tech support if I had to pay the going rate for the help I have gotten on this forum for free.....Ill try to help some of the super noobs with my quasi-noob skills.
    A forum is fine for home users, but it won't cut it in a corporate environment. If you're having a major issue that your team of professionals is unable to resolve, you won't be able to rely on volunteers who might not even know as much you do.

Also, CentOS does not offer the professional support Red Hat does. You can get community support on the web, though (like what you get here).
    Last edited by RiceMonster; August 6th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

I agree totally. When a server is down you need help immediately, because every hour you are down is money and customers lost. Also, those questions may be a tad more difficult than the questions we get around here like 'How do I enable my broad-com driver' or 'help me get my game working in Wine'....3 days for responses isnt acceptable for a large business.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    A forum is fine for home users, but it won't cut it in a corporate environment. If you're having a major issue that your team of professionals is unable to resolve, you won't be able to rely on volunteers who might not even know as much you do.

Also, CentOS does not offer the professional support Red Hat does. You can get community support on the web, though (like what you get here).
    Actually, CentOS now has enterprise support from 2 places.
    CentOS gains enterprise support
    Open source software service provider OpenLogic says it is now offering support for CentOS Linux, a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
    Novell offers RHEL, CentOS support
    Novell has launched a "competitive replacement" program aimed at luring Red Hat and CentOS users to its SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) product. Through the program, Novell will support customers' RHEL or CentOS servers for up to two years, while the customer migrates to SLES.

The program covers Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) versions 3, 4, and 5, for up to two years, or the end of their product lifecycle, whichever comes first. It also supports corresponding versions of CentOS, a free, community supported distribution compiled from Red Hat source code.
    Plus, to read about the Red Hat model, you can go to their Why Subscriptions? (and other "Why" links).

What is interesting is that Canonical's model is what Red Hat's model was before they decided to change and spin off Fedora.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; August 6th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12