Re: Internet Radio Options

bump ... help please ...

Take a look at post #8.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Shoutcast generally streams MP3 (sometimes AAC). It is by far my favorite. Thousands of stations.

I like to play my streams using Audacious (an efficient fork of the venerable XMMS player).

Audacious is very much like XMMS (and the venerable Winamp of Windows).

Fast, efficient. (Amarok is bulky and balky in comparison, but nevertheless is my second choice). Install

sudo apt-get install audacious

(or install from a Package Manager).

I then set up a menu item / desktop shortcut to start Shoutcast from Firefox:

firefox http://classic.shoutcast.com

which brings up Shoutcast's browser-based menu of radio stations. When I click on a radio station, it starts the .pls stream, which I then merely associate with Audacious (so that Audacious always plays .pls streams from then on).

Note: Internet Radio streams are often served on a variety of random ports. It is difficult to know which ports need to be open, so I have often had to allow a range of ports to be open in my firewall to allow Internet Radio streaming.

(PS At work, some Windows users got a virus from their Pandora installation. Be careful.)
    Last edited by perspectoff; October 14th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by alanwalterthomas View Post
    bump ... help please ...

Take a look at post #8.
    Hi
    If you want to listen to FM 103.3 CHAA-FM with Rhythmbox, this is the URL to use:-
    Code:
    http://stream02.ustream.ca:8000/fm1033128.mp3
    Last edited by ron999; October 14th, 2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: The original link was only 32Kbps, changed it to the 128Kbps stream.

ron999, thanks, but where did you get that url (so I can get others I'd want)?
    I looked at the radiotime website but couldn't find that anywhere. I didn't even find that from the station's website, although it would be easier if it's possible to just get the urls from radiotime.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ll
    Last edited by ron999; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Beans

To get a http stream id. that you can use try right clicking and select properties.Might have to do this a couple of times depending on what player you'r using.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12