Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LXAppearance2 - The most powerful Gnome-free GTK+ theme selector

Beans

LXAppearance2 - The most powerful Gnome-free GTK+ theme selector

In gnome, you can change the look and feel by using the gnome-appearance-properties. However, if you want to do the same outside gnome, the options are editing gtkrc-2.0 file manually or to use a gtk theme switcher. LXAppearance used to be one of these tools. However, now it becomes one of the most feature-rich complete solutions for a Gnome-free environment.

Let's see some screenshots:

Later, LXAppearance2 will replace LXAppearance and move to lxappearance git repository.

Main features of LXApppearance2:

1. Depends on gtk+ only. Can work completely without gnome.
    2. Friendly and Gnome HIG compliant user interface
    3. Provides real-time preview of the selected themes
    4. Changes icon theme
    5. Changes cursor theme in a almost desktop independent way.
    6. Supports color schemes. You can change the color used by themes if the themes support gtk color scheme.
    7. Able to install/remove icon and cursor themes in a user-friendly way
    8. Provides additional options for gtk toolbars
    9. Able to turn off event sound provided by libcanberra-gtk-module.
    10. Changes default font used by gtk+ applications
    11. Although this is a LXDE component, it works perfectly well outside LXDE and it has no LXDE dependencies.

To get the latest source code in development:
    Code:
    git clone git://lxde.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lxde/lxappearance2
    (This repo will become invalid once the code is moved to master branch of the original lxappearance repo.)

If you’re a happy user and you want to donate, my PayPal account is pcman.tw@gmail.com.

Please get it heavily tested and give some feedbacks. Patches is also welcomed.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by PCMan; August 5th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: LXAppearance2 - The most powerful Gnome-free GTK+ theme selector

Nice. I use LXAppearance on Openbox. Thanks for the work, this new version looks amazing.

Something I miss, and I don't see on this new version, is a box to hide icons from buttons and menus. This is what I have on my ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine:
    Code:
    gtk-button-images=0
    gtk-menu-images=0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

vs kde's appearance and colors modules...no thanks
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nerdy_kid View Post
    vs kde's appearance and colors modules...no thanks
    that's gnome-free too

Beans

thats great. now if you can give lxlauncher some love, i'd be really happy. all it needs is a transparent background instead of that blue color, so it can show what ever wallpaper or color set as the background. it could use a menu editor, like gnomes main menu editor, but that's not as important.

Beans
    Hidden!

Last time I used LXappearance, I changed my looks successfully, but couldn't change the icons, so I had to edit the gtkrc-mine file directly, manually each time I changed the theme.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Last time I used LXappearance, I changed my looks successfully, but couldn't change the icons, so I had to edit the gtkrc-mine file directly, manually each time I changed the theme.
    If you edited gtkrc.mine file to set your icon theme, then things won't work. Your customized values will overwrite what's set by lxappearance in .gtkrc-2.0.

Please try it again. I rewrote every bit of lxappearance and focused on correctness this time. If things still don't work, I'll help you track it down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Nice. I use LXAppearance on Openbox. Thanks for the work, this new version looks amazing.

Something I miss, and I don't see on this new version, is a box to hide icons from buttons and menus. This is what I have on my ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine:
    Code:
    gtk-button-images=0
    gtk-menu-images=0
    Thanks. This has been done about three minutes ago. Please update from git to get it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for this, I've been following LXDE a lot lately and I love LXAppearance and PCManFM. It's a great desktop environment, one thing that's stopping me from switching over though is the panel.. The config utility for it is just a pain to use.

I'm looking forward to this replacing LXAppearance, especially since most distributions mouse cursors are complicated to change without GNOME (yeah, yeah, I know update-alternatives, but that doesn't list all available options.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

That looks almost identical to the the appear setting menu in xfce.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast