Thread: 10.4 upgrade - Fn F8 (external monitor flip) not working

Hybrid View

Beans

Question 10.4 upgrade - Fn F8 (external monitor flip) not working

I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.4 on my Dell Latitude E6500.

The laptop sits in a docking station.

In 9.10 I would use Fn-F8 to switch to the external monitor. With 9.10 I did not have to do anything special to allow this switching to occur.

After upgrading I can no longer use Fn-F8 to switch to the external monitor.

Anyone have any ideas or can suggest what additional information I can provide to disgnose teh problem?

thanks, David

Beans

Re: 10.4 upgrade - Fn F8 (external monitor flip) not working

Also note Fn-F1 and Fn-<up/down arrow> are working, Fn-F2, Fn-F3 are not working.

I see I have lost my old xorg.conf so not sure if there would have been keyboard settings in there that would have affected.

.. oh and I did check System -> Preferences -> Keyboard .. [Layout] "Keyboard model is "Dell Latitude series laptop"
    Last edited by grigglestone; August 6th, 2010 at 02:00 AM.

Beans

I have the same problem on my Dell LATITUDE E6400. It doesn't matter whether the laptop is in its docking station or not, Fn F8 simply won't work.

I'd love to see a solution to this problem as I'm about to use the computer to present slides in a class I'm teaching.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by josefs View Post
    I have the same problem on my Dell LATITUDE E6400. It doesn't matter whether the laptop is in its docking station or not, Fn F8 simply won't work.

I'd love to see a solution to this problem as I'm about to use the computer to present slides in a class I'm teaching.
    Hi,

this may be silly and I'm not sure it will help as I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Last I tried using a beamer using Fn+F8 I just lost the screen...

but how about

System -> Preferences -> Monitors

There's a "Detect Monitor" button in the centre of that window, does that do anything?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frogo View Post
    Hi,

this may be silly and I'm not sure it will help as I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Last I tried using a beamer using Fn+F8 I just lost the screen...

but how about

System -> Preferences -> Monitors

There's a "Detect Monitor" button in the centre of that window, does that do anything?
    Unfortunately that doesn't do anything. But thanks anyway for the suggestion. I'm happy to try anything at this point.

Beans

Related problem/workaround: http://www.vanstormbroek.nl/blog/?p=33

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old thread closed, please feel free to start a fresh thread with more details.
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein