Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell V715W Printer Driver install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Dell V715W Printer Driver install?

Hi Folks

Having a little difficulty installing a Dell V715W 'all-in-one' wireless printer. I found the appropriate driver on the Dell site and downloaded it, along with the 'readme.' All good, so far. Instructions are to run the unpacked file in Terminal. Ok... fired up Terminal and it 'morphed' into a graphical-looking mini-install program. Got about three screens into it, and it pops up a dialogue box asking for the root (administrative) password; no problem, typed it in... and it refuses to accept it; kicks back a message box "Incorrect password given, please re-type." About the twentieth time I tried this, I became convinced that it was not my typing at fault.

When I log in, I use a password. It is the same password I use when I use a 'sudo' command and Terminal prompts me for the admin password. Am I way off base, here, or is it possible to have my user password AND my admin password be the SAME word?? If not, this would explain the install applet's "bad behavior."

I tried calling Dell, but they don't want to help 'cuz the laptop didn't ship with Ubuntu as the OS (I got it with Win7 so I could do games, and added Ubuntu in a grub-loaded dual-boot). Never did much care for Dell (it's my wife's laptop/printer combo; I'm just trying to tap in to the printer as it's now our only printer.)

By the way, I'm running 10.04LTS "lucid lynx." Machine is an ASUS G73JH-A1, 8Gb RAM, i7 Quad-core CPU, ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 GDDR5 1024MB, 2 500Gb SATA hard drives, Blu-ray optical drive. Win7 64-bit, and 64-bit Ubuntu as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully accepted!

Karl Harris
    Bristol, NH

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell V715W Printer Driver install?

Run sudo -i to become root before running the installer. It should not ask for passwords this time.

Beans

I am having the same issue installing a Lexmark in 9.10. I did run sudo -i as suggested by "mikewhatever", but it did not work.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

Neptasur

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

this is copied out of: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/122664

using Terminal, CD into the folder where your dell driver file resides, my driver file was: dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh and it was located in the Desktop folder, therefore I used the command listed below. Terminal then stared the dell installation as usual, it may ask for your Ubuntu password, but the dell installer did NOT ask for a password this time around, it worked beautifully. Use the above listed launchpad.net URL to see the source of my comments here. Good Luck

cd ~/Desktop/; chmod +x ./dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh; gksudo ./dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

Should do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Many thanks, Hakuna-M !! Worked like magick! How long does it generally take to get so comfortable in Ubuntu?

Karl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Has anyone had any luck installing this printer on 10.10 64-bit? The most recent driver from Dell will abort because it is not 32-bit. Has anyone found alternative drivers, or perhaps a driver form the actual manufacturer (since all Dell printers are just rebranded)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bump?

Beans

I have a P713W Dell printer and 10.10 Ubuntu and I had the same problems (root pswd not recognized during the graphic installation). I downloaded the driver (Dell website, dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh, R294166.tar.gz) but I needed to be root (the password did not work) allowing also to disable access to the screen.
    So to install the driver

xhost +
    sudo -i

and then run the installer normally

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It seems this is an ongoing problem with this Dell program. I have tried to use:
    xhost +
    sudo -l
    and then run: sh dell-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh
    that starts the Dell driver program but when it asks for the root password it will not accept it. Nothing I have tried can get me pass this road block. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to install these drivers?

Beans

Does anyone have a copy of the driver files? I have a friend with this printer and the Dell website is full of #fail.

tia,
    dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast