Thread: hp G60 Microphone vs Speakers Dilemma

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hp G60 Microphone vs Speakers Dilemma

I'm working on a friend's HP G60-630 US laptop. It's running Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit. At first headphones weren't working with the computer so I installed the Linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic package and added this line:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro
    to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.

The internal mic also did not work. Adding the line:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel position_fix=0 enable=yes
    to alsa-base and choosing mic f in GNOME Alsa mixer fixed this issue. However, those two lines don't play nicely with each other; when both of the lines are in the file the headphones work properly but the mic does not. So, at this point, I can either have working headphones or a working mic, but not both. Anyone know how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: hp G60 Microphone vs Speakers Dilemma

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I uninstalled the alsa backports and installed the generic linuxant driver from http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/ with only the line
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel position_fix=0 enable=yes
    active in the alsa-base.conf. Both headphones and the mic work properly now. The only issue with this is that, because the driver was compiled on this computer, it will no longer work when ubuntu updates the kernel in the future. The driver will need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled with every kernel update. Since this computer belongs to a friend who isn't tech savvy, I want to avoid this if possible.

Is there a way to have this driver recompile automatically when a new kernel is installed? Or, maybe, there's a way to stop ubuntu from performing future kernel updates? (I would like to avoid this option if possible so that the computer can remain up to date)

Beans

If you find solution for your general trouble please mark this thread as solved
    Last edited by utilitytrack; August 7th, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
    Debian GNU/Linux user

Beans

I think the issue is that mono microphone is connected to the wrong side. I connected a mono USB microphone and wrote a program to capture audio. When I set it to stereo I had sound on one channel, when I set it to mono I had no sound at all. The issue that might explain everything is the front panel jack is wired wrong and software reversed it someplace breaking the other interfaces. All others, e.g. built in microphone or USB fail as mono devices. SInce they work as stereo devices it seems flaky. I don't know what to do about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.