Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Serval SerP6 - X Resets

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Serval SerP6 - X Resets

Carl,

Can you explain what "booting on vt2" means? Also, how can I check this prior to an X reset, if possible?

I'm using my Serval laptop on a regular basis as of today (finally found time to sync files from old laptop), and I had a long stretch without a reset. I was going to post this reply, but then finally had another reset

Others have mentioned logout/login as a workaround, so I'm hoping I can confirm this via log files? I also hope to find a much more permanent/acceptable fix

Any big concerns with using the NVIDIA version 173 driver instead of current, as a potential workaround?

Thanks,
    Jamie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Jamie,

I've been using version 173 of the nVidia driver for 6 weeks now. I thought it solved my problems with the X resets. But just yesterday, X reset itself! So I guess it really didn't solve the problem. But at least it made it almost 6 weeks without an X reset.

Next time I buy a Linux laptop, I think I'll avoid nVidia!

Dom

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Dom,

Thanks for that update. Ironically, most folks will tell you not to buy anything but an nVidia card for a Linux machine, as they've historically had the best driver support. I've had great experience with nVidia and Ubuntu for the past 4 years.

Also confusing is the fact that I've been running the nVidia drivers on a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop for a couple years, including on Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit, since it was released. I've never had an X reset.

What is it about the System76 Serval that is awaking this really annoying bug??? It must be something related to the hardware or a unique configuration. If it was simply an Ubuntu 10.04 and/or nVidia driver issue, I surely would have seen this on my Dell over the past 4 months.

Best,
    Jamie

Beans

Hi Jamie, sorry it took a while to get back to you.

Can you explain what "booting on vt2" means? Also, how can I check this prior to an X reset, if possible?
    By vt I mean Virtual Terminal. So it appears that the issue is Ubuntu starting GNOME on vt2 which then spontaneously logs out and restarts on vt7. GNOME should start on vt7.

To check where GNOME starts press CTRL + ALT + vt# (F1, F2, F3, etc.). If GNOME is on a vt you will see your desktop otherwise you see a text login.

This is a known bug. What's strange is that the bug was fixed in Lucid and seems to have re-surfaced.
    Carl Richell | System76 | http://www.System76.com

System76 Staff

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Carl,

Thanks for the Ctrl+Alt+F[#] trick. So, here are my results...

Whenever I've done a fresh boot, I logout and then login again, as this seems to be the only dependable workaround for the X resets.

That said, after a logout/login, it seems my X session is running on VT8. When I tried Ctrl+Alt+F7, I saw the following on a text-only screen:

Code:
    (process:516) GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
    [OK]
    tty1 through tty6 give me a text login screen. tty8 (Ctrl+Alt+F8) gets me back to my GNOME session.

Now, after a reboot, without a logout/login, I see the same warning on tty7, but my GNOME session is on tty2, which seems to be what you expected, and when we can expect an X reset

Now, regarding this being a known bug, why is this only a problem on my Serval laptop, while my Dell Vostro with the same nVidia drivers on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit has never had this issue?

Thanks again for any help! I'm SO ready for this issue to disappear

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

GNOME booted to VT1 this time, not VT2. It's been 30 minutes without an X reset, but I'm not sure I want to risk it just to test. I have work to do too

UPDATE: Yup, X reset shortly after. After logging in again, I'm back on VT8. Still seeing that same error message for VT7, and the expected text login on VT1 through VT6.
    Last edited by jamiekrug; September 2nd, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Update to mention that X reset again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

FYI, it seems bug #625239 is my best option for this--best I can tell??? So I've posted a summary of my experience there (first post is comment 15).

Beans

So...I stopped having these resets, certainly a huge improvement since my video card was replaced, and then I've had four in the last week. ARG.

I've reviewed the thread but, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see any resolution.

What's the latest on this bug.

Reid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: Serval SerP6 - X Resets

Will this problem be resolved with an upgrade to Maverick? Or will I have to log out and then log back in (following a reboot) for as long as I own the SerP6?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We're not seeing any issues with Maverick's X server on the Serval. All users are clear to upgrade.

We do have a bug report for this one, which does include a fix for Lucid users. The bug report is here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/636026
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234