Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Login problem - half screen black - how to debug

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Login problem - half screen black - how to debug

Keithclark,
    honestly speaking , I do not remember all the steps but......
    I guess, I got in via one of the profiles that did not require passwd and then via sudo I reset the pwd of the administrator (I have webmin installed on the pc).
    Got back in again as administrator and via synaptic deinstalled the unneeded pack.ges.
    I am sure you can also try to open a shell via ALT+CTRL+F2...F6 and do all in it. I am just not very experienced (any longer, sigh !) via shell command or ssh if your PC is on a lan.
    I hope thishelps.

Cheers
    Palmer

Beans

Re: Login problem - half screen black - how to debug

Sorry for posting on a closed thread, but the answers given do not solve it for me. I'm still relatively new at Ubuntu, and although I now realise that the problem I'm having is magnifier related, I have absolutely no idea how to solve it. I don't know what sudo code to use, and I don't even know if a GUI equivalent exists to solve the problem. Can someone please post a proper answer?

Many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Try this solution:

boot in safe mode

enter this in your prompt:

Code:
    sudo aptitude purge gnome-mag
    good luck

[ My 3 years old did this to me, too. ]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KyleCF View Post
    Sorry for posting on a closed thread, but the answers given do not solve it for me. I'm still relatively new at Ubuntu, and although I now realise that the problem I'm having is magnifier related, I have absolutely no idea how to solve it. I don't know what sudo code to use, and I don't even know if a GUI equivalent exists to solve the problem. Can someone please post a proper answer?

Many thanks
    Code:
    sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 /desktop/gnome/applications/at/screen_magnifier_enabled --type bool --set false
    Will turn the magnifier off at the gdm screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12