Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Docky as gnome-panel replacement?

Beans

Re: Docky as gnome-panel replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
    Whoops! Sorry, I misspoke. It's Tint2 at the bottom that can do notifications. I cannot confirm or deny that Conky can do notifications. I had those two mixed up in my head.

So to clarify: I use a combination of Docky and Tint2 (for notifications)
    can you point me to the how to on that? i'd like to try that.

i'm running netbook so i got to see if conky can even work with the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why don't you first check out the Tint2 website, install it, and fool around with the .tint2rc config file? I think the default config file already has systray activated. You can fool around with the config file settings to change what it looks like. Just remember that you must first REMOVE the notification area from gnome-panel before it will show up in Tint2 (something about only one notification area being allowed).

If you would like a copy of my .tint2rc (it's really simple), just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans

so your saying that's tint2 & not conky?

what i was thinking is i can have a system monitor with a system tray.

i've got conky working in panel mode & i can still use the desktop launcher. i just need to fine tune & configure. probably use the whole bottom.

never mine i just saw your edit.

here's a pic.
    Last edited by kerry_s; August 24th, 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Why don't you first check out the Tint2 website, install it, and fool around with the .tint2rc config file? I think the default config file already has systray activated. You can fool around with the config file settings to change what it looks like. Just remember that you must first REMOVE the notification area from gnome-panel before it will show up in Tint2 (something about only one notification area being allowed).

If you would like a copy of my .tint2rc (it's really simple), just PM me and I'll see what I can do.
    tint2's not bad, i just got to play around with the gui a little more. right now i'm just using it as a pager/desktop switcher.
    i'm trying to match the colors of the desktop launcher, pretty close, but just off by a bit.

Beans

the python gui must be old. i ended up starting over just editing the tint2rc file. i think it blends in pretty good now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking good! You can also use the dropper function to get the exact hexadecimal value of the color of your desktop launcher.
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans

Looking good! You can also use the dropper function to get the exact hexadecimal value of the color of your desktop launcher.
    well the problem with that is that the launcher only focus on the foreground app so the background is washed out. not sure if you can under stand that.

i'll use the calculator for example. see how it turns the background gray. if you click on the desktop the foreground app is minimized.

anyways it looks right to my eyes. i think i matched the colors. i even did the active icon like the launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cairo Dock is awesome.
    May the source be with you...! 8)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wkhasintha View Post
    Cairo Dock is awesome.
    yeap, if only they fixed the system tray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12