Thread: Unetbootin - normal install - comparable to using CD

Beans

Unetbootin - normal install - comparable to using CD

I have recently bought myself a shiny new Samsung N150 plus netbook and am hoping to ditch Windows7 for Ubuntu in the near future.

I have downloaded an iso file for Lucid desktop (not netbook) and used unetbootin to create a bootable usb drive. I can boot from the usb drive to a live environment running off the memory stick itself, but I don't have an option to install to the hdd like i'd normally get with booting from a ubuntu cd.

I just wanted to clarify what sort of install I will end up with if I use the 'install ubuntu desktop 10.04' desktop icon after booting to the live usb environment. Will this be a standard install to the hdd where I can tell it to wipe everything (including Windows7) and just leave ubuntu? Reading through the documentation for unetbootin and other forum posts has left me a bit confused about whether using this process will just install alongside Windows7.

Can anyone clarify what will happen for me?
    Many thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Unetbootin - normal install - comparable to using CD

If you install to the whole disk it will format the whole disk and you will only have ubuntu. If you install side by side you will have both.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

but I don't have an option to install to the hdd like i'd normally get with booting from a ubuntu cd.
    Do you mean that when you booted you did not get the menu with a few options - including install to the drive ? If that is the case it is how it is now - pressing any key apparently brings up the menu.

Running the installer from the desktop icon will work.

Beans

Re: Unetbootin - normal install - comparable to using CD

Thanks for the advice - install worked as intended and am now enjoying using Ubuntu on my netbook instead of Windows 7.