Thread: How do I turn off authentication?

Question How do I turn off authentication?

How do I turn off the authentication feature? I am the only person who uses my computer and it is frustrating always having to type in my authentication password. Can I turn off the authentication feature permanently so I am never asked for authentication ever again?

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I turn off authentication?

search the forums for this info ,there are a few ......... but you will find it is just stupid thing to do ......
    that said , you can have Ubuntu log in automatically or just use a simple password like " qqqqqq " or something like that........

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    search the forums for this info ,there are a few ......... but you will find it is just stupid thing to do ......
    that said , you can have Ubuntu log in automatically or just use a simple password like " qqqqqq " or something like that........
    Why do I need to constantly type in a password for a computer that never leaves my house? Will my birds hack into it? (They have pulled several notebook keys though.) It is a waste of my time to setup a password to prevent myself from getting into it.

Furthermore, I searched this forum for an answer and it does not exist and typing in a simple password like 123 or qqqqqq does not work with 10.04. Maybe you need to search before typing in answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This subject was discussed at length in this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=user+password
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Greetings,

On the desktop drop down menu navigate

System>Administration>Login Screen

From here you can set the system to automatically log in. However, anytime you perform a task that requires admin or elevated privileges you will still be asked for a password.

I do not know of any way to disable or remove the authentication feature completely, but there is a work around. Rather than logging in under your username, you can log in as root. Although, this is (Officially) not recommended. Nor do I endorse the practice. Still, it is you computer and your choice.
    Last edited by Maverick_Meerkat; August 4th, 2010 at 01:43 AM.
    Commodore 6410/ AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core 2.10 GHz/ 4GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066MHz/ 500GB HDD @ 5400rpm(SATA)/ ATI Moblilty Radeon HD 4200 Series Integrated Graphics Chipset/ Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Go to System Preferences Screensaver and uncheck lock keyboard when screensaver is active and you won't need your password to turn off screen saver. Also there is a checkbox in System Administration Users and Groups under the change password box where you can check do not ask for password on login.

I have kids around, and to stop myself from making potential major changes I set up a second user with a simple pattern password that only has user access. I only input it on startup or login. Whenever I need to do admin I either input the password or change to my Admin user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can also edit /etc/shadow
    .i coi rodo

I was searching the wrong term. Thank you for the answers.