Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox does not load plugins

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox does not load plugins

Quote Originally Posted by travkilde View Post
    The file is indeed attached...
    Indeed. I missed the fact that it was attached on his previous post, not the one I was replying to. My bad.

Definitively not right. No Wine installed, see below:
    Code:
    tlr@tlr-laptop:~$ firefox -version
    Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org
    tlr@tlr-laptop:~$ 
    tlr@tlr-laptop:~$ dpkg -l | grep wine
    tlr@tlr-laptop:~$ dpkg -l | grep firefox
    ii  firefox                                    3.6.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1         safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
    rc  firefox-3.5                                3.6.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1         dummy upgrade package for firefox-3.5 -> firefox
    ii  firefox-branding                           3.6.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1         Package that ships the firefox branding
    ii  firefox-gnome-support                      3.6.8+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1         Support for GNOME in Mozilla Firefox
    tlr@tlr-laptop:~$ which firefox
    /usr/bin/firefox
    I am starting Firefox from an icon launcher which executes `firefox %u' as it should do.

I started Firefox from terminal as you asked me to, but it is the same. Note also the discrepancy in version numbering:
    We have a mystery to solve.

Let's try to purge it from your system.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firefox
    sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.5
    rm -f /var/cache/apt/firefox*
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    Check the version again and if flash is detected.

If that doesn't work, create a new profile. Close Firefox and start the profile manager with:

Code:
    firefox -P
    Create the new profile and test it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    If that doesn't work, create a new profile. Close Firefox and start the profile manager with:

Code:
    firefox -P
    Create the new profile and test it.
    This did it! Firefox version is correct and all plugins are loaded. Easy fix, I just didn't imagine it being a profile issue...
    I have no idea what in my profile caused the problem, but I will post the answer if I find it.

Thanks a whole heap!

Beans
    Distro

This did it! Firefox version is correct and all plugins are loaded. Easy fix, I just didn't imagine it being a profile issue...
    I have no idea what in my profile caused the problem, but I will post the answer if I find it.

Thanks a whole heap!
    You are welcome. To restore some files from your old profile, see Fixing a problematic or corrupted profile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You are welcome. To restore some files from your old profile, see Fixing a problematic or corrupted profile.
    Thx.

Beans

...nice to see travkilde has solved his issue
    apologies to lovinglinux I wrote 'stupid' (with'') but I just meant 'simple' since it just run a bunch of command in a terminal and I certanly don't need a firefox extension for that!
    Saying so, doesn't meant I disregard the incredible support by all people like you, we try to help each other and I'm actually surprised there are people reading this instead of taking a trip to the sea!

btw back to my problem I tried also to purge, make a new profile etc. but it makes no difference... any suggestion?
    I went on and made a 32bit chroot now flash works but with no sound. I need to solve this in some way:/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elianto View Post
    apologies to lovinglinux I wrote 'stupid' (with'') but I just meant 'simple' since it just run a bunch of command in a terminal and I certanly don't need a firefox extension for that!
    I don't want to start an argument, since this is a support thread. But there is a reason for using an extension to run such simple commands. The extension allows to easily provide updates to all users. This is specially useful whenever Adobe decides to screw flash. For instance, a couple of months ago Adobe stopped providing support for 64bit plugin and a critical security vulnerability was discovered in the plugin. By that time, FLASH-AID allowed to install the 64bit version directly from Adobe, since it is not available in the repositories. So I immediately released a new version of the extension, that prompted FLASH-AID users to run the script again, in order to remove the 64bit version and install the 32bit. Everyone was able to re-install the safe version of flash without hassle.

Users that don't run FLASH-AID would have to do this manually and there are tons of users that don't even know all versions 64bit flash has a critical vulnerability, because they installed by copying and pasting commands, which are not updated and do not interact with the package manager.

btw back to my problem I tried also to purge, make a new profile etc. but it makes no difference... any suggestion?
    I went on and made a 32bit chroot now flash works but with no sound. I need to solve this in some way:/
    I'm thinking...

Beans
    Distro

I need some information you didn't provide in the report file:

1 - Firefox version and architecture

To find Firefox version and architecture, click "Help >> About Mozilla Firefox" in the menu. The info will be located at the bottom of the info dialog:

I also need the output of:

Code:
    uname -a
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 14th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Beans

I've tried making a whole new user and it worked!
    wiping out .mozilla doesn't suffice... it must be something else...

Beans

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; it; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100723 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.8
    Linux studio 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 5 09:20:59 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro

I've tried making a whole new user and it worked!
    wiping out .mozilla doesn't suffice... it must be something else...
    Probably a Gnome setting messing with flash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast