Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 4 support thread: faq, how to install, optimize, customize...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox 4 support thread: faq, how to install, optimize, customize...

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    I think this will do what you want:

Code:
    browser.history_expire_days.mirror   user set   integer   180
    Default value is 180; try changing it to 5 and see what happens.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Indeed that is how I was configuring the browsing history in Firefox 3.6, but unfortunately that value is no longer available in Firefox 4. The closest setting I am able to configure is the value I mentioned above, so I guess I will adjust that to suit my needs and see if it will do the job.

Beans
    Distro

Just to update on my previous posts:

places.history.expiration.max_pages
    This setting does seem to do the trick. As far as I can tell, this limits the amount of browsing history Firefox will store by the number of entries (as oppose to the elapsed time). After spending the past few days experimenting with it, I now have the value set to 2000 which seems to limit the browsing history only to a few days (This is obviously based on my own browsing frequency.)

However, I've actually been experiencing another minor issue. I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but the Firefox UI seems to glitch occasionally for no particular reason. Some of the icons on the toolbars and the texts on the displayed website suddenly disappear or get distorted. (They become visible when I hover my mouse over, but soon become invisible again.) Although things usually revert to normal after I relaunch Firefox, I also realized that there are cases where some characters remain distorted even after I close Firefox that the distorted characters affect the GNOME environment as a whole. (Hence, I've seen GNOME menu with these distorted characters.)

Since I also saw glitches outside of Firefox, I thought it could be the hardware acceleration that is causing this. So I disabled it in the preferences, but this issue still persists. (It just happened as I was typing this sentence...) Very strange indeed.

Does anyone have a clue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This "distortion" also happens to me, especially in text boxes and in the add-on manager. I haven't noticed it outside of Firefox, but sometimes restarting doesn't fix it and I have to log out and in.

Also, sometimes the add-on manager simply won't work at all and freezes Firefox completely. If I use Bleachbit to "vacuum" the databases then everything works again for a while. I'm using an Nvidia 6200 with the latest proprietary driver and Compiz.
    As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Beans
    Distro

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with Intel 950 GMA Grahics Chip (945GM Chipset) and Compiz enabled. Could Compiz have something to do with this?

Yeah I also use BleachBit occasionally to clean up the sqlite databases, but I still experience this issue in spite of that. It's quite unlikely that this will get fixed prior to the final release isn't it? There just aren't enough FF4 users at the moment to get clear about the cause of this problem.

Beans
    Distro

Hard to say. I'm using an Intel chip as well. With the Nvidia driver installed I have to use Compiz. When I use Metacity I eventually get lots of graphical glitches and have to restart. On the other hand, when I use Compiz I eventually have to log out and in because window contents take forever to load. It's not the same rendering issue as with Firefox, but Nvidia just seems to be problematic in general for me.

I get no errors of importance in the FF Error Console, but when the Add-on Manager is about to crap out I get a zillion GTK+ errors. Bleachbit fixes it, but it doesn't fix the graphical glitches. I assume it has to do with Compiz rather than FF, but really have no idea... Maybe it will be fixed, maybe not. I've searched and search for info, but have found nothing about either issue. If you learn anything please let me know!
    As for doing good; that is one of the professions which is full. Moreover I have tried it fairly and, strange as it may seem, am satisfied that it does not agree with my constitution.

Beans
    Distro

Here is a screenshot:

As you can see, the letter "B" is garbled and the "A" is missing from "Art". This never used to happen before I switched to FF4. Since this isn't the only symptom to this problem, I will try to post more screenshots when I come across other ones.

Beans
    Distro

This is not the same problem I have. I see that the b's are all shaped like the same symbol, and you say it happens outside of FF. I am willing to bet it's some sort of locale issue or font problem. Have you tried changing fonts? Do you switch dialects?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite81 View Post
    This is not the same problem I have. I see that the b's are all shaped like the same symbol, and you say it happens outside of FF. I am willing to bet it's some sort of locale issue or font problem. Have you tried changing fonts? Do you switch dialects?
    Thanks for your prompt reply

Although I'm not completely sure what sort of issues you're having, I still think mine is related more to the graphics than to the character-encodings, locales, or fonts. I see texts disappearing and menus turning black, which to me seem unrelated to the font/language configuration issue.

In any case, the default language is set to English, and I have installed Japanese in addition. I do customize ~/.font.conf in order to enable the font rendering and anti-aliasing for the Japanese fonts. But I've been using this custom configuration for the past 3-4 Ubuntu releases and I have never encountered this issue before.

Plus, I seem to encounter this problem only when I'm running FF4. Although the glitch can affect the desktop environment as well, that's only after the glitch occurs in FF4. In other words, FF4 seems to be affecting the desktop environment and not vice versa.

By the way, I just turned off Compiz but I'm still seeing the same symptoms.

Beans
    Distro

I figured out a way to replicate the problem (at least one of its effects). When I have FF4 minimized and try to maximize it, I get the tearing on the screen.

Actually, since Wordpress is entirely based on Javascript (I think...), I don't even see anything when I try to maximize the screen. The parts that have appeared on the screenshots are due to hovering my mouse over those parts of the screen.

I'm suspecting my problem is related to the way FF4 handles Javascript...?

Beans
    Distro

Wow. Your problem is similar to mine, only waaaaaaaaay more amplified! Based on your previous posts I was testing stuff to see if I could recreate your problem, but I now see that I was going in the complete wrong direction.

A couple questions:

Are you using Firefox 4 from the Mozilla Daily PPA or are you using it independently of your package manager? I prefer to use it independently, that is, directly downloading it and running it from my home folder. This way I get incremental updates. I was just checking out the MD PPA on Launchpad and they've had some build errors, so that could be an issue.

Which Java plugin are you using? OpenJDK or Sun/Oracle? I see you are using the Zotero addon, and it's my understanding that Zotero has problems with OpenJDK. I have also experienced many other OpenJDK problems in the past.

Do you have the profile manager installed? If so, have you tried to recreate your problem using a black profile? (I recommend trying that!)

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast