Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking to replace 10.04 Suggetions?

Beans

Re: looking to replace 10.04 Suggetions?

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    If you want a really stable distro, try slackware, the only issues with it are: you have to resolve your own dependencies (the os won't for you), and if you need software that didn't come with it, you have to compile it from the source. It's stable yes, but can be a pain when installing new software.
    Thanks but, no.
    Don't have the time for slackware. To heavy a learning curve right now.

Looks like Mint is ahead at the moment.

I am not a fussy user. Just want something that doesn't shut down on me just as I open email everyday.

Am interested in Debian.
    But considering what has just gone down with Ubuntu. The backup tool on Mint is maybe an idea.

Data. I got. It is on an external hard drive. I learned the hard way.
    (more than once)

But just need a GUI and something that can run a browser email etc without rebooting itself everyday. That is an exaggeration. 10.04 did not reboot itself today. Which is unusual.

But the Mint setting backup is interesting.
    It takes days to get a system back to the set up where it was.

OK. Yes, yes. Please tell me that I can backup settings in10.04.
    But the Nvidia drivers still do not work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vector SOHO KDE Classic is fabulous and incredibly stable.

Or install Ubuntu 9.10 it's fabulous also. Still several months of support remaining, too.
    Last edited by 4Orbs; August 1st, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    ...and came back to Ubuntu since it is the system that works.
    Obviously you do not play games on Linux. I have been playing "Enemy Territory Quake Wars" for a while but since moving to Lucid Lynx the audio is way out of sync and since Ubuntu has got rid of the audio dialog that allows you to change between Pulse, Alsa, etc. which would have fixed it (as I have pointed out in this post) I have been doubting Ubuntu are checking everything before making a release.

I think the effected games are ETQW, Doom3, and some others...

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VH-BIL View Post
    Obviously you do not play games on Linux. I have been playing "Enemy Territory Quake Wars" for a while but since moving to Lucid Lynx the audio is way out of sync and since Ubuntu has got rid of the audio dialog that allows you to change between Pulse, Alsa, etc. which would have fixed it (as I have pointed out in this post) I have been doubting Ubuntu are checking everything before making a release.

I think the effected games are ETQW, Doom3, and some others...
    No, you are right, I do not play games other than Supertuxkart, which, for real gamers among you, is child-play.
    I use the computer for the normal things: browsing, e-mail, office work, photography, audio and video enjoyment and that's about it.
    With the Ultimate Edition I can do all this without any problem, it's reasonably fast and even more important rock stable.

@artisan:
    you say nVidia drivers don't work on 10.04. Well, maybe not for you, but for me they work. At the moment I use the 256 driver without any problem, but also the 195.36 which came before that worked without problems.
    Which card do you have and do you have the matching driver installed for it?

Beans

I gave up on the Nvidia driver on my home machine (173 legacy driver and an FX5500 card) as it was causing X to freeze when I used GIMP. I think this is a kernel and/or driver issue, as I've experienced the same problem in Debian and Ubuntu.

@artisan:
    Do you really needs 3D rendering on a work machine? If not, the default Nouveau drivers seem to work quite well.

Beans

Hi slooksterpsy,

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    ...if you need software that didn't come with it, you have to compile it from the source. It's stable yes, but can be a pain when installing new software.
    Mind you there is a very large amount of software that can be built from the slackbuild scripts available at slackbuilds.org....

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: looking to replace 10.04 Suggetions?

I have been using lubuntu on a dell inspiron 6000 and it is fantastic,everything works out of the box except for flash.Fast,light and stable.Not that flashy looking but i can surf email and write doc`s all day and the battery lasts longer that with *******.nothing more troubling than updates that stuff things but I have had this happen with windows and mac and they are paid for software unlike ubuntu .It shouldnt happen on mac cause they have control over all hardware.Also on machines that are critical I either back up to ex hdd or clone to another hdd.anyway thats my two cents worth.Thanks to everyone invoved in ubuntu I just love it on my desktop and lubuntu on the old dell lappy

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: looking to replace 10.04 Suggetions?

It's a shame that you've experienced problems with 10.04 but I hope you find a solution soon. I have heard that Linux Mint is a good distro, so that is my recommendation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I find the best 2 are Linux Mint 9 & Sabayon 5.3 are the best no problems with either, I use a 3G dongle for the internet,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123