Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

Ubuntu Version: 10.10
    Laptop Maker: HP
    Laptop Model: Pavillion dv6500z CTO
    Known Issues:
    1. Nvidia Geforce 7150M/Nforce 630m video card: Works well in LiveCD mode after installing proprietary driver and adjusting resolution (The resolution that is default for the monitor (1280x800) seems to be too big for Ubuntu, has to be lowered a bit to work correctly). Actual install to the hard drive yields complete freezing during boot, can't even get into the system. Ubuntu boot logo appears at bottom right corner of screen, never gets past that point, just sits there. During boot into LiveCD the boot screen is the same, with the logo at the bottom right corner, but it does eventually boot into LiveCD after waiting for a couple minutes.
    2. Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN card. Simply does not work at all without proprietary driver (to no one's surprise). With proprietary driver it works fine (in LiveCD, anyway).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Im running ubuntu 10.10 on a laptop IBM t23 thinkpad pentium III.
    Screen saver and no logout selections don't work. I got it to work ok on another ubuntu machine so I know how to operate it.

Beans

Hi.
    Yeah, that's hard to say what might be happening there... but if it's not getting a log file at all then it is not getting very far into the loading. When you installed Pinnacle, was it from the setup package on the main website here: http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/download.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by khanhnh088 View Post
    Hi.
    Yeah, that's hard to say what might be happening there... but if it's not getting a log file at all then it is not getting very far into the loading. When you installed Pinnacle, was it from the setup package on the main website here: http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/download.html
    Which post are you referring to?

Beans

Hi i have problem with my laptop when work on battery i have:

Ubuntu 10.10
    laptop: Asus X51R
    When i unplug ac power after few seconds ubuntu freeze then i have to shut down and start with ac power back.

Tanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HP Touchsmart TM2T

and the

Asus N61 series (N61jv)

Numerous issues with both because of the dual graphics cards (the first one ATI/Intel, the second one Nvidia Optimus/Intel).

Like:
    • black screen on boot (hp)
    • freezing after logging in (asus)
    • black screen or stuff doesn't work after sleep (both)
    • graphics card sucking battery life even when not in use (both)
    • can't use compiz or play games since proprietary drivers don't work (both)

Basically, don't get any laptop that has dual graphics cards (i.e. most new laptops nowadays, at least HP & Asus).

Beans

1) Version of Ubuntu: 11.04 Alpha 3
    2) Laptop Maker: MSI
    3) Laptop Model: Wind U270 (with AMD Fusion APU)
    4) Known Issues:
    - Bluetooth and Webcam not recognized,
    - no reaction to User Button (ie. it is supposed to launch a user selected application) and Eco Button (ie. it is supposed to cycle through available power saving modes),
    - baterry is rated at 3,5 hours (instead of about 8 hours by manufacturer),
    - problems with Suspend/ Hibernate - either black screen (and no responses) or screen corruption,
    - problems when connecting external monitor to VGA adapter - screen corruption,

Additionally Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 won't install from USB - there are some problems with installators. I had to install 10.04 and then upgrade to 10.10 and then to 11.04 Alpha 3.

Edit:
    WebCam now magically happened to work. Trackpad sometimes doesn't work (not recognized?) - probably it's caused by beta status of my installed Ubuntu, so it's of lower priority. Anyway Eco Button support would be great.
    Last edited by Wibowit; April 1st, 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eva34 View Post
    10.10 Ubuntu (maverick)
    HP
    Pavilion DV7-4060
    problem; My touchpad is horrible, it is a multi touch (pad) but there are not any physical buttons on it, it just detects that if your touching the first key, then its a left click, if second then it assumes it is right, but ubuntu does not like that at all so I cannot right click at all
    Click here for a workaround which will enable your right click.
    EeePC 701 - Ubuntu 10.04 | | HP DV6 - Linux Mint 13 MATE Edition
    My Eee Blog

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

Trying to run 10.10 Maverick
    Laptop is an HP
    DV6-3154ef

So many issues... Not helped by being a complete Linux novice.

Webcam not active
    Fingerprint reader not active
    Synaptics pad has no config options
    Power options (to suspend, shut down, hibernate and so on) are not recognised and almost random, shut down for instance just hangs and I have to press the power button for 15 sec)
    Sound is not working right (for instance nothing on Skype video or sound works, although I can listen to music)

Even the System testing utility fails on everything except mouse and KB. It doesn't even open the documents

I really want this to work but I am running a virtual machine for MS Access. Any help out there? I'm a hair from going back to Win7...

= = =
    Mörgæs 2014-10-13: Later releases (14.04 and newer) are more suitable for the dv6, especially when using the radeon.dpm=1 boot option:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Last edited by mörgæs; October 13th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

1) Version of Ubuntu: 10.04
    2) Laptop Maker: Samsung
    3) Laptop Model: NF210-C03CA
    4) Known Issues: Backlight (screen very dark)
    Decidedly most Linux unfriendly computer to date (for me).
    Last edited by leclerc65; April 10th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast