Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Machine: 2002 Dell Inspiron 1100.

Tested with ALL 'buntu variants (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu & Kubuntu).

They all WORK on this machine, although at only 1 GB, Unity, and to a certain extent, KDE, are really too much for it. The issue is the graphics card; the 'Brookdale'-cored, Intel 'Extreme' Graphics, 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV adapter. Every distro that I have tried WILL run; but the display ends up jammed into the top left-hand corner of the screen (640x480, in a 1024x768 screen). NOTHING that I have tried seems to be able to make the screen show the desktop at full resolution.

The curious thing is, although the desktop display is in miniature, the desktop icons and windows are at the expected, normal size.....so very often, you can see part of a window, but cannot access the rest of it, as there are no sidebars indicating that you can scroll down to see the rest of it.....and indeed, you cannot.

The only partial 'fix' for this seems to be to use 'nomodeset'; which merely moves the miniature desktop into the centre of the display.

I have resorted to running Puppy Linux on this machine.....which, touch wood, works perfectly.

See here for the tribulations of a fellow 'sufferer' :-

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2259056

Regards,

Mike.

Edit: No longer a problem! I installed the 14.04.2 point release of Lubuntu last night; everything is working PERFECTLY.....even the recalcitrant graphics adapter. I have a full screen display, at long last. Many thanks to Julien Lavergne & the team at Lubuntu. Brilliant work. Thanks!
    (17/04/15)
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; June 19th, 2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: New information...and a cure!
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Asus D550C with Ubuntu 14.04.1

Wireless interface wlan0 is hardware blocked by rfkill. There are some workaround, but it's not ideal.

The hardware opun this computer is quite awfull. EVERYTHING is made out of plastik and doest fell any secure to use, it migt just fall apart.

Overall do not buy this laptop. I dosent even work that well with Windows.

= = =
    Mörgæs 2015-01-10: Would be interesting to know how 14.10 and 15.04 behaves.
    Last edited by mörgæs; January 10th, 2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Newer releases?

Beans

Ralink rt 3290 bluetooth doesn't work on my asus laptop on latest kernel + 15.04

Beans

Xubuntu 15.04, Dell Latitude E6400. The graphics drivers for the Quadro NVS 160M work well enough to provide a graphical desktop, but they do not work for 3D applications. Steam complains on startup, and games simply do not run, no error messages. Steam reports me playing a game for a split second. I'm using the drivers from the repository, via Additional Drivers and also apt-get installing nvidia-XXX drivers. On Windows, these things can run fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Here's mine:

1) Ubuntu 15.04
    2) HP
    3) HP pavilion 11-n024tu
    4) Had to format the entire disk. However the showstopper is that it doesn't power off or reboot. Both get stuck and I have to switch it off using the POWER button. Cannot use without fixing that. Tried many solutions (googled). None of them work

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List. Toshiba Satellite A215-7422 Ubuntu 15.04

This laptop (AMD Turion X2 TL-58 1.8 GHz) is ancient (2007), but with the hard drive replaced by an SSD, still runs acceptably. Had Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.10 running dual boot. Did a release upgrade to 15.04. Got several errors during the upgrade process related to corrupted compressed files. When the upgrade completed, my BTRFS root filesystem was completely corrupted.

I then downloaded 15.04 and tried installing from both a USB drive and a DVD drive. Both options refused to even boot up. I then did a clean install of 14.10 successfully (from USB drive), and the system is working fine again.

So, some change in 15.04 has made Ubuntu completely incompatible with this laptop. Do not attempt this upgrade.
    Last edited by Guy_Rouillier; July 13th, 2015 at 09:31 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flitbee View Post
    Here's mine:

1) Ubuntu 15.04
    2) HP
    3) HP pavilion 11-n024tu
    4) Had to format the entire disk. However the showstopper is that it doesn't power off or reboot. Both get stuck and I have to switch it off using the POWER button. Cannot use without fixing that. Tried many solutions (googled). None of them work
    I had the same problem, I solved it. See here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2269935

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List: Lenovo ThinkPad W541

Ubuntu 15.04 desktop amd64
    Lenovo ThinkPad W541

Will not install or run properly. Reports driver problems: "mmc0 unknown controller version(3), You may experience problems"
    Last edited by david-flory; August 9th, 2015 at 11:54 PM.

Beans

Ubuntu 15.04
    HP pavilion 11 x360

No zoom in touchscreen. No rotation screen.

Beans

Angry Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Here's mine:

1) Ubuntu 15.04 (and many other distros, versions)
    2) Sony
    3) Vaio duo 13
    4) No connected standby support, can't suspend at all, freezes after suspension, the lowest point on brightness turns the screen off, no wifi (a partial fix is to copy brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.txt to /lib/firmware/brcm)
    Here are the issues that still persist, http://askubuntu.com/questions/66478...not-recognized
    Also the active n-trig pen works but it has no palm rejection, the "wacom tablet settings" don't show any settings for n-trig, it might be time to rename them to pen/active digitizer settings.
    None of the sensors (ALS, gyro/compass/accelero etc) are supported (or work out of the box).
    Also there are times when the keyboard stops working altogether.
    The laptop/hybrid is unusable with these issues.
    Last edited by husnainlatif; October 13th, 2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added more issues

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast