Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

1) Version Of Ubuntu 12.04
    2) Laptop Maker HP
    3) Laptop Model G50-133us
    4) Known Issue(s)
    1. Locale (perl gives warning I hear is bogus, but it's annoying).
    2. Has to be tweaked to cool it down. cpu governor
    3. Installed Wubi after problems with installing it in it's own partition.
    Can crash. If shut down using the "off" button often, "fsck" is started because it's told by Ubuntu, you're having detected problems.
    Again annoying, and it could lose you your data.
    4. "fsck" initializes, and you are presented with the option of waiting for a lengthy scan or having a nag screen before you can finish booting(can be disabled)
    Last edited by acodea; October 30th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day

This was placed here to ignore

Beans

I have an ASUS Vivobook S400CA, Intel i5-3317U quad-core 1.7GHz CPU, 8GB RAM (upgraded from factory 4GB), 24GB SSD / 500 HDD hybrid drive, Intel integrated HD 4000 graphics w/ HDMI output, Motorola WiFi a,b,g,n / Bluetooth 4.0 combo wireless card (upgraded from factory WiFi only card), Atheros Ethernet, USB 2.0 & 3.0, Realtek? sound, 14" 1366x768 touchscreen.

OS: Ubuntu 13.10 w/ Cinnamon GUI (ver. 2.0x if I recall correctly - typing this from my Android phone and my laptop isn't here).

Note: I'm not currently using the SSD for anything. HDD performance has been quite good (using the SSD to cache the HDD would provide negligible gains IMO), the Swap is used only during suspend and it wakes up almost instantly (using the SSD would provide negligible gains here as well). The SSD will come n handy should I decide to set up a dual boot with Windows in the future.

PROS:
    Installation was glass smooth and drivers were provided for all hardware with only a couple tiny glitches. Performance is quick / snappy (as quick as or faster than the prior Windows 8 and 7 installations. This notebook is slated to replace my aging field tech laptop pending confirmation that I am able to use my existing software utilities (or equivalent Linux software) to perform any/all work for which I may use a field machine. I'll also be using this notebook for personal / leisure time and I'm very pleased with Ubuntu/Cinnamon - a nice change coming from Windows (and the issues that come with it). As I support mostly Windows systems I'll be running various versions as virtual machines when necessary.

CONS:
    Well - only one con and it's hardware related. A few of the Fn (alternate function) key functions are not recognized. Only one of these is an issue for me - Numlock. Which leads us to....

HARDWARE INCOMPATIBILITY:
    The functions assigned to keystrokes Fn + Home, Fn + End, Fn + Pg Up, and Fn + Pg Dn do not work. The only one that really affects me in any way is the Fn + Home keystroke: Numlock. Numlock is used to set a portion of the right side of the keyboard to function as a number pad. Upon completion of the Ubuntu 13.10 install Numlock was set to 'on' by default, only after the login password was entered and login succeeded. I was unable to address this using Numlock nor by any other means. I found a rather elaborate process of turning Numlock (I won't waste space here describing how unless requested). This was too cumbersome to work with daily and many logins per day.

Fortunately the issue with Numlock defaulting to on cleared when I installed Cinnamon. The aforementioned alt function keystrokes still don't work.

*NOTE: All of the other Fn + keystrokes for hardware controls (screen brightness, video internal/external switch, volume up/down/mute, etc.) work just as they should.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Acer Aspire 5500Z / AS5502ZWXMi

1) Version Of Ubuntu: XUbuntu 12.04.3 LTS (precise)
    2) Laptop Maker: Acer
    3) Laptop Model: Aspire, AS5502ZWXMi (5500Z series)
    4) Known Issue: Non functional touch-pad causes keyboard going haywire after resuming from suspend (power management).

After resume from suspend the touch-pad can't control the pointer any more and touching the touch-pad results in phantom keyboard input (see this thread for a workaround).
    (The same hardware ran Ubuntu 6.04*, 8.04 and 10.04 flawlessly.)

* Version 6.04 with two tweaks: noapic, 915display patch
    Last edited by martinr; November 22nd, 2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Added referral to workaround
    To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04
    HP Envy 3040nr 2nd Generation
    Known issues:
    1. Radeon HD 6790M - lack of drivers, so i am left only with the internal graphic card, intel hd4000, which is enough for anything except games.
    2. Beats audio with 6 speakers and a subwoofer, HP wireless audio - great sound using alsa drivers but anything that plays sound freezes in the first 10 minutes after booting
    3. wake from sleep takes about 20-30 seconds, at least it goes fast to sleep

All in all i really enjoy everything, including the sound, as it is much better the the original one from windows with beats audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I am running Ubuntu 13.10. Although I have diligently applied every fix that comes along, and tried every combination of drivers that I have learned about, my Dell Vostro 3555 laptop is unreliable. In particular ACPI seems to be broken, possibly as a result of bad microcode from Dell, although obviously the laptop works fine with ******* 7. This particular model differs from most of the other Vostro 3500s in that it has an AMD microprocessor and consequently ATI graphics. I have tried running it with both the closed driver from AMD and the open X driver. With the open driver the laptop NEVER resumes from suspend. With the closed driver it resumes about 75% of the time. 25% of the time the screen remains black when the lid is opened, and the only solution is to reboot. Also frequently the system does not suspend when the lid is closed.

Beans

1. Ubuntu 13.10
    2. Acer
    3. Acer Aspire V5-471G
    4. Set graphics driver from NVIDIA GEFORCE 710M into its Graphics Processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nvidia FX 880M video card (e.g. NVIDIA Corporation GT216GLM [Quadro FX 880M] (rev a2))
    Used in ThinkPad W510, some Asus laptops
    Ubuntu 13.10, Nvidia driver v 319

This card is not well supported by the Nvidia drivers. It runs at a barely usable speed with the desktop, and video is out of the question. Applications that use the X display leak lots of CPU in user space.

Beans

1. Ubuntu 14.04 and 13.10
    2. HP
    3. HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-n007tx
    4. It fails to load. Period. In 13.10 it would begin loading and just freeze at a black screen with no info on it. In 14.04 I can hear the sound that it makes when it is on the desktop, but the screen is black. My best guess is it has some problem with the dual graphics display. Also, I'm running the latest firmware, which is F.62(release notes say compatiblity for ubuntu) as of now & i have also tried loading with UEFI turned off & on with no difference

Beans

1) Version Of Ubuntu: EDIT: All variants
    2) Laptop Maker: Medion
    3) Laptop Model: p8614
    4) Known Issue(s):
    Bad supported VGA and HDMI output
    (VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730/M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650/5165])

14.04:
    Computer will not boot with connected HDMI and/or VGA, pc freezes completely
    Computer crashed completely when HDMI-cable was plugged in on a running desktop.

13.10(also Xubuntu 13.11):
    No HDMI audio
    EDIT: System freezes/crashes completely.

EDIT: No HDMI audio
    System freezes/crashes completely.

EDIT: All Ubuntu variants on this laptop: 'Kernel panic - Not Syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt', total crash + this message, involuntarily.
    This seems broken hardware in this laptop, the CPU or the graphics card is probably damaged.
    The memory is tested with memtest86 and is ok.
    I am thinking of a faulty graphics card.

Time for a new machine.
    This old laptop goes to the recycling center!!!

I can not live with Windows 7, it makes me sick.

ps. Sorry for my bad English, i'm a Dutch men.
    Last edited by cdeboden; May 7th, 2014 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, everybody.

The laptop in question is an elderly Dell Inspiron 1100 (circa 2003); I am currently running Lubuntu 14.04 on it

The apparently known problem stems from an incompatablility between the kernel video drivers, and the Intel 82845 GL/GE/PE/PV graphics chipset.

Anybody attempting to run Lubuntu on one of these beasties will find, as I did, that the desktop will NOT occupy the full screen (which is 768x1024 pixels resolution); instead, you will be stuck with a resolution of 640x480, and it will be jammed, resolutely, into the top left hand corner of the screen.

To quote, from my thread about this problem:-

"I have a 2003 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, on which I've just installed Lubuntu 14.04. The O/S is working fine; however, I'm stuck with a 640x480 display in the top left quarter of the screen. Monitor Settings offers no other options.

I've read this thread about my problem:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2222349
    and also this:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2222014

Doranwen in the first thread has got exactly my model and same hardware, so I followed this through. At the bottom of the first post, his solution has been added; I tried this, but the 'i845.modeset=0' didn't work for me. So I tried the 'nomodeset' option, and, following Morgaes advice in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132) I've edited the grub bootloader, and rebooted.

I now have the same 640x480 display, but in the centre of the screen, with a black border round it."

The best you can acheive, it seems, is to position the desktop centrally on the screen, instead of in the top left corner. The problem is that the icons, and windows, and everything else, is still full-size; so that you often can't access buttons that are positioned at the bottom of full-size windows.....scrolling has no effect, as it is NOT a minimised window!

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast