Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a Toshiba Satellite C675D-S7109. Mostly works with a few quirks:

- Occasionally the keyboard and touchpad won't work on boot. Well, the keyboard may work in the BIOS or Grub menus but once the Ubuntu login screen appears it's useless. Forcing a reboot fixes the problem. I tried plugging in a USB mouse one time and that worked (although the laptop's keyboard and touchpad still did not).

- It can be difficult to power down the laptop sometimes -- it wants to reboot instead of power off. Sometimes a few iterations of forcing power off (by holding the power button for 5 seconds) is needed before it stays off.

- Suspend does not work. Or, it appears to, but there's no way to resume. The only remedy in the zombie-suspend state is to force power off, remove power cord and battery, and restart. Unless the battery is removed it stays in the zombie-suspend state -- can't even get a BIOS screen.

- Hibernate sort of works. After re-enabling it in Unity (or using pm-hibernate), the laptop will write RAM to disk and spin down the hard drive, but it won't power off the laptop. I have been listening for the HD spin-down and forcing power off when I want to hibernate. Upon power-up (or on lid-open) it resumes from hibernate perfectly. Unfortunately, sometimes it wants to resume on its own immediately after the forced power-off, which defeats the purpose of hibernating!

I submitted a bug report for the suspend issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1000016
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43276

EDIT:
    Hibernate works much better after installing the uswsusp package, which provides s2disk and wires it into the hibernate menu option. I edited /etc/uswsusp.conf to set "shutdown method = shutdown" (instead of platform, which is the default value). That allows the laptop to actually power down on its own. Also, the issue where the laptop reboots instead of shutting down only happens when the laptop is plugged in. So as long as I'm unplugged and just running on battery power, hibernate works perfectly now!
    Last edited by dpfurlani; May 28th, 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added details on getting hibernate to work.

Beans

I should probably add mine to the DL...

Ubuntu 12.04
    Toshiba P755-S5269
    Reason: At the dual boot screen, allowing it to automatically load Linux caused catastrophic errors. It would hang on the purple screen (blank, by the way) for a solid ten minutes. After that I did a hard reset (held the power button). I turned the computer back on and hit "Enter" and it got me passed the purple screen and into a black screen where lines of code were being thrown at me. Once again, hard reset after 10 minutes of random code. I plug in the LiveCD to remove Ubuntu when I get "MACHINE CHECK ERROR". So I removed the Linux partitions through Windows Disk Manager and the System Repair Disc

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T60 Type 1952
    Xubuntu 12.04

This box is mostly compatible. However, the internal modem is not, and the fingerprint reader is not. The internal modem is a conexant chip on the sound card, and getting it working would be a major pain, and it would not necessarily work even after following in the footsteps of recommended paths. The workaround is to get an external modem or a pcmcia modem that will work.

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu: 12.04
    2)Laptop Maker: ACER
    3)Laptop Model: Aspire One 722
    4)Known Issue: wifi/bluetooth, suspend/resume, microphone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Dell Alienware M17x R4
    Kubuntu 12.04

Mostly works, but...

1. Ships with NVIDIA Optimus-based video, which you can only get to work with Bumblebee if you're willing to put up with the nonesense of launching each graphic-intensive app with a special command. No BIOS option to disable the integrated Intel video.
    2. Volume control doesn't work properly and internal speakers won't mute when you plug in headphones. This appears to be due to bug 5596 in ALSA's Creative CA0132 support. Maybe it will be fixed by the time you read this.
    3. DisplayLink (video over USB 3.0) doesn't work using the Targus dock that Dell recommends for it. Can't get xrandr to recognize it as a connected video output.

Not Kubuntu's fault, but I also found the colors on the internal LCD to be washed out.
    Last edited by Rob_H; July 3rd, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Beans

1) Version Of Ubuntu: 12. 04
    2) Laptop Maker: ACER
    3) Laptop Model: Aspire 5935G
    4) Known Issue: no sound at all

Beans

OS: ubuntu 12.04. also tried with mint 11 and same problem
    manufacurer: HP
    Model: envy 14 with dual graphics--intel and Radon hd 6630m
    Issue: no video whatsoever even on live boot

Beans

1) Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10 & 12.04
    2) Acer
    3) Aspire One 725
    4) Frequent WiFi dropouts and touchpad doesn't work. After installing a particular driver it responds basically, but without multitouch

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit
    Dell Inspiron N5010

Hello,

I am facing the following issues while using Ubuntu 12.04 :-

1) Sometimes while increasing/decreasing brightness/sound using keyboard, the system hangs and there is no way I can restart the system it unless I press the power key.

2) The system doesn't restore from sleep or for that case even after once the screen turns off , nothing works , the cursor moves but can't click on anything.

I am a big fan of Ubuntu and it used to work fine with previous versions(upto 10.04) but as now I am facing these problems, I am not too comfortable using it nowadays. Please someone can explain why this is happening and is there any way that this can be fixed.

Thanks.
    Biswajit Dey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Toshiba Satellite P-775 w/Optimus
    12.04 Unity

Hard Freeze at random intervals -- everything stops, including the clock. I have to hold down the power button until it reboots, losing whatever I was working on.

Also, multiple desktops fails in odd ways, sometimes losing the ability to switch completely, other times causing applications to disappear.

I'm getting a bit discouraged...

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast