Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

Version: 9.04
    Maker: HP
    Model: 4420s
    Issue:
    I tried installing from the live dvd, but the screen won't show anything. I went to 'try without installing', the cursor blinks for a while, and then the screen goes blank. Afer a while, I can hear the starting music, but there's still no display.
    I went to 'install ubuntu', but the same thing happens: the cursor blinks for a while, then the screen goes blank.
    Then, I installed it inside Windows. When i went to Ubuntu in the boot loader, again the same thing happens!
    I've used the same DVD to install it in another laptop (Acer Aspire), and it's working fine. So, i guess it's nothing wrong with the DVD.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid
    Gateway
    ID59C notebook

Problem #1: No brightness control, either through function keys, brightness applet, or power management settings.

Problem #2: No touchpad support -- no touchpad tab in Mouse options, no scrolling, no multitouch, no option to disable touchpad while typing (although Fn+F6 to disable the touchpad does work).

The lack of brightness control is a really bummer, otherwise I'd be spending way more time in Ubuntu and way less time in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Version: 10.04, 10.10 beta (both 32bit)
    Maker: Acer
    Model: Aspire 4736
    Issue:
    Brightness adjustment doesn't work. Bluetooth isn't detected.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.4
    Toshiba
    Satellite P205

Cannot boot. I get as far as the boot menu, but nothing after that. At one time it would boot and then black screen after a few minutes of being logged in. It is my understanding that this is related to the Intel 950 chipset.

Beans

1. Ubuntu 10.10 beta (32bits)
    2. Lenovo
    3. S10-3s
    4. As least one function key no longer function, I can't turn on wifi, touchpad button also no response, worked on 10.04

5. Now the touchpad completely disabled after the update
    Last edited by lotech; October 5th, 2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Version of Ubuntu: all linux
    Maker: Toshiba
    Model: M900
    Issues: High temperature probably in GPU and fan not working. I did not try the bluetooth and mic if it works.
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans

Version of Ubuntu: 8.04 / 8.10 / 10.04
    CPU: AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-70
    GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
    Maker: Toshiba
    Model: P300D

Rather correct and increasing compatibility since 8.04.
    Major issues are:

• Over temperature crash: can be overcame by forcing both CPU speed to 800MHz (rather than 2.0GHz). At this speed online video are lagging but correct when ondisk.
    • USB Realtek RTL8187B Wireless Adapter and Chicony USB 2.0 Camera but working better since 10.04Lucid but still not able to install skype for instance.
    • ATI fglrx divers worked strangly in 8.04Hardy but seem ok now in 10.04Lucid.
    • Battery manager still reports absurd data particularly for charge but I didn't see power time difference with Windows.

PS: Should COMPATABILITY List and INCOMPATABILITY List merged into a PERFORMANCE REPORT common post ?

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04.1
    Toshiba a660
    No output through headphones. No input through microphone. Internal speakers work fine, tho.

Here's the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9918297
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1. Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 (installed via Update Manager)
    2. HP
    3. Pavilion dv6000

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Button above the TouchPad to turn said TouchPad on and off completely locks up the computer when pressed.
    • Wireless on/off switch on the front of the laptop does not work (wireless is always on).
    • Installation with the 10.04 LiveCD does not work; the screen becomes corrupted when attempting to boot from this CD. I used the Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD, installed it, and then upgraded through Update Manager; no problems booting since then.
    • Wireless multimedia remote does not work (mine could just have a bad battery, check yours).
    • Quickplay controls (there are 2 of them) on the left side above the keyboard do not work, however the multimedia controls (stop, pause, play, fastforward, rewind, and volume) on the right hand side do indeed work.
    • System > About Ubuntu does not work; it loads and then quits.
    Last edited by heroofhyrule; October 5th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

1. Ubuntu Maverick 10.10 64bit
    2. Asus
    3. K52JR
    4. Internal speakers works only on laptop independently if you plug in or unplug the headphones, anyway - no sound in headphones

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast