Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 17R (n7110). To make my Intel Centrino wireless-N 1030 WiFi card work i had to install kernel 2.6.38 and then update using an ethernet connection. The biggest problem i have is with my Nvidia 525m video card. Installing the drivers that Ubuntu recommends will make you get a terminal prompt next time you start your machine again. running this

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    ~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

Instead of the one ubuntu recommends fixes the problem but you still wont be able to get special effects or compiz to work like there suppose to. Ive looked everywhere to try to fix this problem with no success. I might have to go back to Natty where they had better support for my video card.

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

1)Version Of Ubuntu

2)Laptop Maker
    Toshiba

3)Laptop Model
    Satellite L645

4)Known Issue:
    Function (fn) button are not working, example, when i press FN + F8 it should turn on wireless / bluetooth on, but nothing changes.

Bluetooth not working.

Networking:
    Network controllers detected, but not acknowledged by network connections:
    -Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
    -Atheros Communciations AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)

My laptop is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHz

The installation done normally, but when selecting network connections, they said no network connections. While on interface lists only "lo interface" no other device. In my windows 7, everything works normally.

Thanks.

- Samuel -

Beans

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6110ca, AMD Turiton 64x2, Wireless card BCM4311
    Install: Ubuntu 11.04 (dual booting with Windows 7)

Ubuntu installs and runs fine. However, IRQ issues (cannot request IRQ-0; probably buggy MP table) means no wireless - tried using wl and b43 - and the integrated webcam doesn't work. BIOS update and trying all the boot options failed to correct IRQ problems.

UBS wireless adaptor and USB webcam work without need for additional driver install.
    Last edited by KemKev; August 21st, 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Beans

I have a Compaq Presario C700 (C751NR to be exact)

I have installed Ubuntu 11.04, which runs fine,

but I also installed the KDE package and Kubuntu does not work with my wireless card (Atheros AR5001).

I haven't done much searching on how to fix it yet.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 / 11.04

Laptop: MSI GX660R

Compatibility: Installs and runs fine, but sound only plays through headphones or the subwoofer (partial fix below). MSI fan boost button works, but Eco power profiles do not. Also, in-built lights to not work. The last two are not Ubuntu issues, however, they simply arise from an absence of the MSI system control application which only runs on Windows.
    Screen brightness control also does not work - there is a delay of several minutes before changes made using keyboard buttons take effect, though it will dim when on battery and relight when plugged in.

Sort-of-fix for the sound issue is contained in this thread, as well as a discussion on how to perhaps enhance it. Its limitations are also defined there. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1800700 Add the text contained in the code box to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (you will have to run gedit as root - alt+f2 then gksu gedit )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Emachine 350 Netbook
    Ubuntu 11.04
    No Microphone,
    Suspend not working, after closing lid.
    Every thing else good.

Beans

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6 6176sa, Intel Core i3 2310m
    Issue: CPU Integrated Intel HD graphics and AMD Radeon switchable
    Install: Ubuntu 11.04 (dual booting with Windows 7)

Ubuntu 11.04 Live dvd doesn't work - stops at Radeon graphics detection
    Usb pendrive install boots to a blank screen.
    Mint 11 Live dvd boots fine. (DVD from LinuxMagazine)

Have not tried very hard to resolve yet.
    Have read this so far - the screen resolution ( 1366 x 768 ) is not supported until next kernel release and the switchable graphics system is not supported by the open source radeon driver. This causes excessive power consumption becuase the unused Radeon card 'runs' it's fan at full speed and can not be disabled in BIOS.

Hopefully these issues will be resolved eventually. I do not want to run Windows 7 for very long!

= = =
    Mörgæs 2014-10-13: Later releases (14.04 and newer) are more suitable for the dv6, especially when using the radeon.dpm=1 boot option:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Last edited by mörgæs; October 13th, 2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: open source drivers have improved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jn114ss View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell Inspiron 17R (n7110). To make my Intel Centrino wireless-N 1030 WiFi card work i had to install kernel 2.6.38 and then update using an ethernet connection. The biggest problem i have is with my Nvidia 525m video card. Installing the drivers that Ubuntu recommends will make you get a terminal prompt next time you start your machine again. running this

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    ~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

Instead of the one ubuntu recommends fixes the problem but you still wont be able to get special effects or compiz to work like there suppose to. Ive looked everywhere to try to fix this problem with no success. I might have to go back to Natty where they had better support for my video card.

Linux is not supporting nvidia optimus technology.
    only way to get your card working is with bumblebee
    try
    https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee

Beans

1) OS: Unbuntu 11.04 LTS (automated detected AMD64 ver)
    2) Make: Toshiba
    3) Model: F750 (i7 2670qm 64bits)
    4) Issue: Can't complete the installation. The kernel message looks no error, the final line it hangs is
    [5.795250] usbhid:USB HID core driver

I also tried i386 version, and I saw crash in kernel message.
    I know my laptop is quite new(released end of last month), would appreciate if someone could help on this. I really need to install Ubuntu into this laptop. Thanks a lot in advance.

Beans

Dell Studio 1737
    Quad core 64 bit intel processor
    4 Gb. ram

I am unable to load 11.04 on the above machine. I did manage to load 10.04 then upgrade to 10.10 but numerous efforts to upgrade to 11.04 and all efforts to do a clean install of 11.04 have resulted in the system freezing after less than a minute of the loading starting.
    Does anyone else have this problem? I am reluctant to try loading 11.10 in case I lose everything I have in 10.10.

Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast