Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

1) Ubuntu 14.10
    2) Toshiba
    3) Satellite S50-B

Disabled secure boot and installation was flawless.

Beans

1. ubuntu 14.10 64 bit (laptop has 6gb of ram)
    2. Acer
    3. Aspire m5-583p-6423

everything works exactly as it should out of box without issue including the touchscreen and wifi (BCM94352HMB), though the latter only worked AFTER installation. it was was not detected during install.
    btw, after a full drive wipe, i used efi install with secureboot off. may work with other settings, i didn't bother mucking about too much.

only issue i have noticed is videos played full screen in smplayer have screen tearing no matter what, though that may well be a limitation of smplayer from what i have read. default player works fine, but i prefer smplayer since it can resume videos from the last point.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

1)Version Of Ubuntu: Xubuntu 10.04.2
    2)Laptop Maker: Dell
    3)Laptop Model: Inspiron 9100

Could not figure out how to install using LVM while specifying disk partitions;
    now cannot figure out how to mount another drive previously configured with LVM.
    Xubuntu appears to lack support for disabling touchpad when a mouse is attached.

Inspiron 9100 had hopeless miniPCI WiFi: poor Broadcom drivers and no support for WPA;
    removed and replaced by USB 802.11ac dongle, which was problematic with Xubuntu's bundled NetworkManager.
    Removed NetworkManager and installed Wicd metapackage; for Wicd indicator on Xfce tray:
    /usr/bin/wicd-client &
    Last edited by Bleken_Bleu; February 21st, 2015 at 03:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Lightbulb Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin19 View Post

only issue i have noticed is videos played full screen in smplayer have screen tearing no matter what, though that may well be a limitation of smplayer from what i have read. default player works fine, but i prefer smplayer since it can resume videos from the last point.
    VLC can also resume playback.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

1)Ubuntu 14.04.2 64-bit
    2)Dell
    3)Latitude E7450 (i5-5300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, full HD non-touch)

Ubuntu didn't create uefi boot on install, created after install with BootRepair (tried 14.04.1 and 14.04.2, same result)
    Problems with unwanted key-repeating (I don't know if there is fix for this, except disable it globally). It's not too often, so I live with it...
    Brightness control didn't work, fixed with creating
    /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "card0"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
            BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection
    Last BIOS update (A03) fixed issue with key-repeating.
    Last edited by TomasBaluch; April 20th, 2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: key-repeating issue update

Beans

Toshiba C55D-A5163

1) Lubuntu 14.04
    2) Toshiba
    3) C55D-A5163 laptop
    4) AMD E1-2100 1.0GHz processor
    5) 4GB RAM

Using the installer's dual boot standard option worked quite well. Alsamixer was muted as usual with Lubuntu, follow this link's instructions, step two to fix: http://www.unixmen.com/2012003-howto...lem-on-ubuntu/ . Ubuntu Software Center will also be necessary to install through the Lubuntu Software Center in order to install Pepper Flash so Flash videos are viewable on your Lubuntu install using Chromium and Firefox. Unfortunately, I do not print with this computer so I cannot answer those questions as of yet.

Beans

I have just installed Ubuntu 14.04 x64 on a Novatech N1603 laptop (a clevo w950t underneath) with no issues.
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...npron1603.html

The bluetooth isnt working as i expected, but that might just be me not able to work it properly (I can send files via bluetooth, but not recieve. I am also unable to connect to bluetooth speakers).

Advertised features:
    Intel Celron Processor, 4GB Ram, 50GB HDD
    Ubuntu 14.04 x64 installed without any problem. I may have messed it up a bit and deleted boot partition as I now get a bios error when I turn on, but OKing the message boots into Ubuntu with no problem.
    top command shows 2 processors, 3.9GB total memory, and 4GB swap space.
    df -h shows 454GB on the main partition.
    3 x USB 2.0 ports and 1 x USB 3.0 ports.
    All 3 x USB 2.0 ports recognise WD passport, as does USB 3.0.
    9 in 1 card reader
    SD card inserted and read.
    Optical drive
    Appears to work. Was able to read and copy some photo CD's.
    Intel Wireless-N 7260 802.11bgn
    Appears to be working fine with home set-up, and around my house with no noticeable drop in performance. Given variables with home wifi router, difficult to say how well.
    Bluetooth on the other hand appears to connect and recognise and can send files from laptop to phone, but unable to receive – not sure if this is a user of software issue.
    Sound
    Built in speakers work well.
    Audio output jack works
    Webcam
    Able to display image in skype and cheese webcam booth
    Microphone
    Built in teseted using Skype. Works fine.

Beans

1) Kubuntu 14.10 (kernel 3.16.0-23)
    2) Dell
    3) XPS 13 9343 core i3 4Gb RAM 120 Gb SSD non-touch

Installation went smoothly, didn't have to use the boot repair thing, dual boots back and forth with windows 8.1 happily. Wireless working, not much else tested so far.
    [edit]
    The analog sound output (speaker or headphone) wasn't working initially as was widely reported on other blogs. However, after upgrading the BIOS from Dell for unrelated issues, the analog sound is now working. I don't know if that was a fix or just a coincidence. Initially, the touchpad was freezing up after 'sleep' mode, and the computer was also crashing out of linux altogether upon resume from sleep mode in some cases. There is an easy workaround for the touchpad freezeup already published (search on /etc/pm/sleep.d and 10_touchpad to find it on google). For the hangs on suspend/resume, had some success with disabling the touchpad immediately prior to suspend with Fn-F7 but not at 100%. More recently, I selected the 'disable touchpad when mouse plugged in' option in system settings, and now when the mouse is NOT plugged in, suspend/resume seems to work much better. An aspect of the wireless to be aware of: the open-source b43 driver included with this 14.10 is said on one blog I saw to work, but I could not get it to. Meanwhile the linux wireless website clearly says it doesn't yet support the broadcom 4352 that came in my machine. However, the proprietary broadcom driver 'wl' is installed if you check the box for third-party software during a fresh install. However, I noticed that it is not automatically loaded in kernel 3.19 which I downloaded later, so that broke the wireless. At that point, option for putting it back together became too time-consuming so just went back to 3.16. Also seemed to be getting some crashes out of linux due to inadvertent palm contact with the touchpad while typing. I am not certain yet, but these crashes seem to have reduced or stopped since selecting the 'disable touchpad when mouse plugged in'. More generally, the touchpad is over sensitive to incidental contact, and if this is not an outright bug, then it is up to the user to play with a large number of settings to optimize the touchpad behaviour in system settings.
    [edit]
    something funny going on with fonts. while everything looks good initially, after a number of applications are opened and some usage time has passed, i start to see flickering/distortions in some letters, followed by gross artifact blacking out multiple lines of text. libreoffice fonts are not sharp right from the start with dropout on some letters. The latter was improved by altering some of the rendering options on application appearance.
    Last edited by Kay.; April 7th, 2015 at 02:06 AM.

Beans

Hi! I´m getting trouble with my Acer Aspire V3 with AMD A6. It came with a ati radeon 7520g. When ubuntu starts, the screen starts flickering with color lines. I dont have this issue with windows 8.1/7. Any help will be very usefull!!
    (sorry about my english, i live in Argentina)
    Saludos!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm using Lenovo Y50 with UbuntuGnome 14.10.
    I have issues with nvidia graphics card, some people have reported issues with the touchpad, the subwoofer, and the wifi dropping out.
    UbuntuGnome 16.04.02 on System76 Oryx pro.
    Ubuntu 16.04.02 on home server.

Page 160 of 184 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast