Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

1) 10.04
    2) HP
    3) dv8000T CTO, Prod # EE944AV

Really works great. It has been an effective desktop replacement.

Notes:
    • Using the Nvidia proprietary driver
    • Occasional video "flicker". I've easily learned to ignore.
    • Wireless works great
    • Upgraded to 4GB RAM
    • Replaced primary disk with 500GB, ST9500420AS
    • Added second disk, 500GB, ST9500325AS
    • Upgraded to DVD-R, TS-L532M

I also have 2 family members using the same laptop, with minor configuration variations. All 3 are running 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

10.04LTS on my Dell inspiron n4010 aka 14r is perfect except if yours was has Atheros ethernet network card which would not be detected by default.. I got mine fixed from here http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2010/08...roller-on.html

Beans

1. Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat
    2. Samsung
    3. NP-R480-JT01CL

Problem with the "Fn" key and all its functions (F2-F12)
    Problem with the backlight control
    Touchpad only working with the basic functions
    Webcam/Bluetooth/Card Reader not working.

I just emailed samsung asking if they have support for linux (yeah i know, that'll never happen)

Beans
    Hidden!

1) OEM = Toshiba
    2) Model = T235d-s1360

BAD= will not install ubuntu 10.10 do to what i think is a bad installer

good = will install ubuntu 10.04 - no major issues except mic is not working

Specs:
    AMD Turion™ II Neo Dual-Core Processor K625
    ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 4225 - 256MB-1405MB dynamically shared
    4GB DDR3 memory
    webcam
    atheros wifi bgn
    Standard stereo speakers, Microphone jack (mono),Headphone jack (stereo)-(working)

mouse works but does not have multi - touch function working from what i see

Built-in microphone (not working),

i do not know if the HDD impact sensor works under linux or not

Beans

Laptop - Sony Vaio EB24
    OS - Ubunutu 8.04(No sound /network drivers available)
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04 (While installing, shows loading screen for more than 30 min and never proceed. Looking for help on this issue.)

Thanks,
    nishikant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lappy - Acer 4741G
    OS - 10.10, doesn't work 100% due to no wireless and Nvidia drivers causing more trouble than they're worth

OS1 - 10.04, W/L and GPU work fine with drivers.

Quick note - battery life is about 30-45 mins shorter by default than Windows 7 so y'all wanna do a bit of tinkering before taking it mobile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1) Ubuntu 10.10 upgraded itself to 11.04 during installation latest updates process.
    2) IBM/Lenovo
    3) Thinkpad Z60m - nicknamed Buttsprung because it had become unbearably slow, no matter how much tuning. Also will not work without being plugged in. Working like a charm now.
    4) Me - Ubuntu/Linux virgin but have experience solving many a Windows problem

Installation (reformat and install option) went incredibly smooth. So smooth, it scared me. I was mentally prepared to jump through a litany of hoops. No such hoops occurred. Initially, I was very hesitant to giving Ubuntu a shot after reading some of the problems in this forum. I then remembered that I would see just as many issues in a Windows or Mac forum, so I went for it. Good move by me.

I stayed up last night testing the basic things out. So far everything is fine: Audio, video, wireless, touchpad, tested a few preinstalled apps. Marvelled repeatedly at how fast the boot up and shut down times were. I have yet to install any programs, done any commands, or more complicated stuff. But will do so soon, if necessary. I'll update this post if/when I run into any issues, small or large.

Quick update: Slight issue playing a DVD, that may affect only the true Ubuntu virgins out there. You have to enter a command https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/musicv...video-dvd.html to play copyrighted DVDs in Movie Player, very easily done. Worked like a charm.

New update: Well, I have hit the unsolvable problem. After pretty much testing out everything I would do Windows, I attempted to rip a CD to mp3. Thought I was adding the necessary codecs but somehow have messed everything up. I can no longer add any software. And in searching for a solution there does not seem to be one. Looks like I will have to do a clean sweep and start over.

Yet another: Started up the computer this morning and there were updates ready, installed them and all the above problems disappeared. Finally was able to rip to mp3, by once again loading those gstreamer thingys. I swore I did that last night. Moving on. Also I noticed that my version of Ubuntu was now 10.10 instead of 11.04, which I inadvertently downloaded during the initial updating. All is back well for now.

Having spent the last couple of days fooling around with Unbuntu, my overall impression is that it is great for what I am using it for, bringing back life to a dying computer, providing me with the challenge of learning something new and maybe even a new hobby of Ubuntu/Linux tweaking. While I like it, it remains clear that Linux is a long way from going mainstream but I see that as a good thing.
    Last edited by mjaytee; February 2nd, 2011 at 07:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have an Acer Aspire. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it. It runs like a dream. I have no issues with it whatsoever. It is definitly a good match for 9.10 and on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ASUS Model X42JR-VX141V
    Intel Core i7-740QM @ 1.73GHz, Intel TurboBoost enabled
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 1GB

Currently running under:
    Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", using kernel 2.6.37-12-generic, kernel acquired from Ubuntu Kernel PPA.

- ATI driver problems seems to be fixed in with this kernel version (previously had to use this to solve the problem)
    - no speaker problems unlike with a vanilla Ubuntu 10.04 installation (obviously thanks to the kernel), touchpad's multitouch now works differently: two-finger counts as using the scroll wheel, tapping with it invokes right click. Three-finger gestures imitate clicking of the middle mouse button/scroll wheel.

Looks like I can sleep fine now.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04

Dell Inspiron 1520

Pretty much everything works except Cheese Webcam Booth

Page 42 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast