Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

10.04.1 LTS / Ubuntu 10.10
    Both 32 and 64 bit
    Dell
    Studio 1749
    Last edited by ptn107; October 11th, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List. toshiba satellite i7 core a505 works with Maverick

HI
    I'm using 10.10 alpha-3 build ( Maverick), and it works perfectly on my toshiba satellite i7 core (a505-6030) with nvidia gforce310M video card
    wireless, power management,sound, fans, etc all work perfectly.

What worked was a fresh install - upgrading from 10.04 did NOT work.
    All bleeding stops, one way or another.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1521.

Everything works great except that Flash almost never works, which may or may not be Firefox's fault. I just watch videos in Chrome and use Firefox for everything else.

Beans

1) Ubuntu 10.04.x64bit

2) Acer

3) Aspire 5517

(NOTE) I did upgrade the ram to 4 GB and also the Processor to a AMD TK-57 Prior to testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

)Version Of Ubuntu: 10.04 Ubuntu netbook remix
    2)Laptop Maker: Dell
    3)Laptop Model: Latitude 2100

Needed to connect to Ethernet to install Broadcom STA driver, other than that, everything works flawlessly. It does seem to run a little bit warmer than it did under 8.04 though, but nothing crazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Version of Ubuntu: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit
    Laptop Maker: Toshiba
    Laptop Model: Satellite M3O5-S4910

Dual boot Windows 7 professional 64-bit and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit installed in wubi.
    Everything works fine so far.
    Last edited by xmanx; August 28th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Beans

1)Version Of Ubuntu: Lucid 10.04 LTS 64-bit
    2)Laptop Maker: Gateway
    3)Laptop Model: ID49C08u

The installation was smoothly successful. Wireless LAN, Webcam, internal microphone and SD card reader were automatically detected and worked. There seemed to be no problem.

However, "Hardware Drivers" in "Administration" recommended "NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver (version current)," a proprietary driver, and I could not boot up my laptop after installing the driver. More precisely, X Window System did not start up.
    Last edited by tomo0607; August 28th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell Latitude E6410. Perfect which the following minor caveats:
    - had to use "nomodeset" in the boot options before install. And make sure it's in /etc/default/grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    - while we are in that file: GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900
    - cannot find the microphone, but I'm not even sure there is one with the embedded webcam
    - smart card reader doesn't have a driver: "mmc0: Unknown controller version (2). You may experience problems" (but I don't care)

All the rest: bluetooth, wifi, dual screen, etc... worked out of the box.

Beans

Dell Inspiron 1440.
    Ubuntu 9.04 (32 bit)
    That is my combination and I am using for past one year.
    Works great.

I saw people with similar wifi chipset as I have and using Ubuntu 10.04 crying as
    their wifi used to freeze.
    I fixed that by downloading the driver from broadcomm website and loading that.
    Also in a few users a firmware upgrade was required.(Otherwise wifi used to freeze)

Beans

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

1. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    2. Acer
    3. Aspire 4745
    4. Known Issues:

Problem 1: Battery

Ubuntu 10.04 Always shows battery plugged in.

Perfect Solution:
    Upgrade BIOS to 1.18 or later, available in acer support website.

Solution 2 Experimental(might be the perfect one):

Install these two packages from here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=123

They worked for me to properly show the battery status. It is a lil' bit slow though. Takes around 10 second to realize that there is no plug behind it.
    But after installing them, I was unable to hibernate/resume from hibernate.(I can not even hibernate, how can i resume?)

Problem 2: Wireless Enable/Disable Key

There is not any external hardware switch that can enable or disable wireless in Acer Aspire 4745. So, one has to use Fn + F3 key to enable / disable wireless.
    When ubuntu is booted, it doesn't automatically enable the wireless device. Pressing the keys only enables or disables Bluetooth. So, I had to enable it by right clicking on the network icon.

Perfect Solution:
    Upgrade BIOS to 1.18 or later, available in acer support website.

Solution 1 Experimental(might be the perfect one):

I am not sure whether this is going to work for you or not. I am not even sure which of the two things I did made it work. I will suggest that you follow the first instruction and then reboot to see if it worked. if it does not, I recommend go back to solution 2 or 3. The things I did are:

1. go to users and groups. select your username, go to advanced settings. go to user privileges. check the "Connection to wireless and ethernet networks".

2. Install the header files provided here.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=123

Solution 2:
    Open terminal and type

sudo modprobe ath9k

which will enable the wireless in the hardware level. Otherwise, keep using the right click method.

Solution 3 (if you want wireless connection enabled at the startup):

Apparently, the default network-manager and network-manager-gnome is messing things up.
    You can install wicd, which is another wireless and wired network manager by this command:

sudo apt-get install wicd
    sudo reboot

After installing, you can remove or keep network-manager and network-manager-gnome. But both choices have their own problems and advantages.

For example, if you do not keep network-manager, you might not be able to connect using your mobile gsm connection. I decided to keep both of them for the sake of wired mobile gsm connection.

the problem for keeping both network managers is that, even though wicd will enable your wireless on startup automatically, the default network manager will continue to show that you have not enabled wireless. If you enable wireless in the default network manager, wicd will lose the connection!!

Problem 3: Eject Button of CD/DVD Rom drive doesn't work

Solution:
    For the time being, use
    eject cdrom
    or
    eject /dev/cdrom
    in terminal

You can also assign a shortcut key by going to System > preferences > keyBoard Shortcuts

Solution 2:(edited on 3sept, 2010)

Suspend/stand by your laptop. then log in again.

The eject button now works.
    Why it works? i have no idea.

Problem 4: Audio
    In acer 4745, you will notice that you can hear audio from the speakers, but when you plug in headphone, the sound dies. Also, the plugged in mic does not work at all.
    Again, unmuting and maximizing all the sounds through the command alsamixer in terminal do not work.

Solution:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046137

I also noticed that in kernel version 2.6.35, the alsa is automatically upgraded to 1.0.23
    Last edited by lordamit; September 9th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Page 9 of 184 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast