Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
    HP
    Compaq nx9420

Works perfect, no issues encountered so far.

No problems installing at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
    Lenovo
    Ideapad U165 (version with AMD Turion II Neo K625)
    Tried with live USB, wireless and graphics (HD4200) restricted drivers found, but can not install - System error:InstallArchives() failed

Weird that both have the label "tested by Ubuntu developers"

@Update: after installing all updates wireless managed to install, touchpad froze, but came back eventually, AMD graphics crashed. I had to create USB stick with persistence to be able to update, and the persistence was only 1 Gb, i suspect graphics failed because of this, will need to try with larger persistence, also to be able to install headers. I will update the post later
    Last edited by aytech; September 18th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Operating Systems:
    Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, Kernel 2.6.32-24
    Dual Boot with Vista 32 SP2

Laptop Details: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/vgn-fz15g
    Sony Vaio VGN-FZ15G
    2GB Ram @ 667 (originally 1GB)
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 @ 1.80Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Issues:
    - Motion Eye (in-built camera) Link to my progress
    - Nvidia Driver Issues (Sony Vaio issue)

Everything else works perfectly to my knowledge although Wlan light flickers for Wifi instead of staying solid (like vista) which can get annoying and "media controls" dont work to my knowledge with any applications. but not necessary
    Last edited by RDT1; September 15th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

10.04 standard 32bit Live CD (now updated to 2.6.32-24-generic kernel)

Gateway

LT2320u Netbook (Intel Atom N450, 1.66GHz, 1GB Ram)

Note: Even though the LT2320u is a very compact netbook, these comments apply to my experience with the full normal 32 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04, and NOT to the special netbook edition. This little machine is more than powerful enough to work quite well with the full Gnome desktop, including Compiz 3D add-ons, so the stripped down netbook edition is not necessary.

Install issues -

Installed dualboot from Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD with Win7 using an external USB CDROM DRIVE. To boot the Live CD, you need to change the LT2320u BIOS boot order. This is a simple BIOS option change (does NOT require a BIOS update, just hit F2 at boot and change the option setting in the existing BIOS)

Before installation, I used Win7 Disk Management to create 15 Gigs of free space at end of the drive by shrinking the Win7 C: drive partition, but the Ubuntu auto installer still only allocated 700kb to swap, which of course will break hibernation on this 1Gig Machine (this is really dumb, considering that this undersized swap issue has been a known issue since before Jaunty). The work around is to use the custom partitioning feature on the Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD install to manually add a smaller root and larger swap. I hope this will be fixed soon so a simple way to override the default swap size is available, because the current interface is not something that I would recommend to a novice user, because a simple partitioning error can easily wipe out all the data on your drive and render the system un-bootable. (if they pick the tempting 'new partition table' option instead of 'add', they will start with a blank partition table, and will find that they have just accidentally destroyed their windows partition)

After I manually added my partitions for / root (14 Gigs) and swap (1.5 Gigs), the dual boot install completed perfectly without other issues.

Things that work right out of the box -
    (almost everything! )

- WiFi works, (solid connections, with good transfer rates)

- Sound Playback and Volume Control (both headphone and internal speakers)

- Webcam Video

- Full OpenGL 3D video drivers (works nicely with Compiz desktop)

-Motherboard Chipset setup, including CPU scaling and Power Management, Standby, and Hibernation (runs 5 to 6 hours on battery)

- Touchpad, including vertical scrolling, and tapping (works well, but not quite perfect, as the Alps Touchpad is incorrectly detected as a generic PS2 wheel mouse, so no "palm check" or "disable touchpad during typing" option is available)

- Fn Hotkeys; Wifi On/Off; Touchpad On/Off; Volume Up/Down & Mute all work perfectly; Backlight Brightness Hotkeys work fine but only support a few levels. This is a common bug also found on many Acer models, which has already been reported. (Note: Backlight control with the Gnome taskbar gadget and power management has many more levels and works properly)

Things that work with minor tweaking - The Internal Microphone has no audio with default settings, but is quite easily enabled. You just need to download "PulseAudio Volume Control" from depository, launch it and select the "Input Devices" tab, then TURN UP THE FRONT RIGHT CHANNEL TO 90% to 100%, and set the FRONT LEFT CHANNEL TO ZERO (all the way to the left).

What still needs work
    -
    Gateway shares some hardware features with Acer, and like a lot of the current Acer models, this netbook has a boot error message due to an initialization error in the acer-wmi kernel module (unlike some others, on this machine this message is NOT a fatal error, and the boot and installation will complete, with no major issues)

acer-wmi: unable to detect available WMID devices
    Since all of the important features that I listed above work pretty well even after the acer-wmi fualt, the simplest way to deal with the error for now (until it's fixed) is to simply black list the acer-wmi service :

Code:
    echo blacklist acer-wmi | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-acer-wmi.conf
    Just open a xterm and cut and paste in this line, and hit enter (you will need to enter your password because this folder is owned by root). Don't worry, this code just adds a simple text file 'blacklist-acer-wmi.conf' to your /etc/modprobe.d folder which keeps Ubuntu from loading the broken acer-wmi module at startup . If the issue is fixed in a later update, this file can easily be deleted to restore acer-wmi to the startup sequence.

What I couldn't get working
    - The built in multi-card reader doesn't seem to be working. (Again, this effects a lot of other models, so it will hopefully get fixed eventually, but in the mean time, the good news is that all the external USB card readers and other USB storage devices I have tried, worked perfectly.

Also - The normal fancy Ubuntu Splash Screen is not working. The Grub screen does load correctly, so dual boot works fine, but after selecting to boot Ubuntu, the screen just goes black for about 20 to 30 seconds, then the login screen pops up. There are some fixes that reportedly fix the Splash on the Acer models that have similar problems, but this is such a minor issue that I haven't bothered to try to fix it, so I don't know if they will work on the LT2320u.

Final Notes -
    Because the touch pad is miss-identified as a PS2 mouse, the "palm check" feature doesn't work very well, so you have to be carefull about keeping your hands up while typing or the machine will seem very twitchy, as your hands brush the touchpad and cause stray mouse movements and clicks. Sadly, you can't even use the optional "Disable Touchpad While Typing" addon from the repository because it seems to be hardwired directly to the synaptics touchpad driver (which is not loaded when the pointing device is incorrectly identified)

Conclusion -
    Even with the above minor issues, this is the best performing, best integrated Linux laptop I have ever used! Everything just works! Wifi is solid enough so streaming media plays smoothly in Firefox, and I can watch full hour-long NOVA episodes on the PBS site with no dropped connections or hiccups. Overall, Ubuntu on this machine is just flat out a joy to use!
    Last edited by p_code; September 14th, 2010 at 07:58 AM.

Beans

anyone here using LENOVO SL410? i been testing with ubuntu 10.04 some of device doesn't support.

thanks

Beans

Hardware and specs:
    Lenovo Ideadpad Z560
    CPU: Intel Core i5
    RAM: 4GB DDR3

Output of lscpi
    Code:
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)
    01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Notes on compatibility:

Touchpad: The touchpad is not recognized immediately, however there is a fix. The psmouse module has to be loaded with a certain argument. To get the touchpad working open a terminal and do the following.

Code:
    sudo -s
    cd /etc/modprobe.d/
    rmmod psmouse
    modprobe psmouse proto=imps
    echo "options psmouse proto=imps" >> touchpad.conf
    Camera: Camera works perfectly. However, I run into issues when using meebo. It works fine with cheese and skype, though.

Sound: There are some issues with the headset and microphone not being recognized. I suspect that it has something to do with the modules.

Video: The Xserver gives me an error everytime I startup. For some reason it uses the nouveau driver instead of the nvidia driver. This is a simple configuration issue that can be (relatively) easily fixed.

Speed: It came with Windows 7 which was pretty snappy and responsive but Ubuntu was at least 2-3 times as fast as Windows 7.

All in all I'd say this is a great laptop to use with Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu unleashed

If you're unsure what a command does then type
    Code:
    man command

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1. Lucid Lynx 10.04
    2. Asus N73J
    3. Sound doesn't work, looking for drivers. Go here for sound fix http://www.whatiswas.com/index.html/?page_id=546. Also the NVIDIA Drivers make the screen not work, better without it. Other then that everything else looks/works great.
    Last edited by Goldstorm; September 15th, 2010 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

1) Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition
    2) Asus
    3) Eee PC 1201N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello ubuntu users! mine was:

1)Ubuntu 10.04
    2)Asus
    3)Asus Eeepc 1201N Netbook

works perfectly with minor issues on graphics but easily to dealt with.

cheers~!
    -ubuntu philippines member id -Website : Jcyberinux
    -rjdreyes po, tangkilikin ang atin. - LINUX USER : 525764

Beans

With 10.04 my sony vaio 17" e-series is perfect, except for no sound. updated alsa now
    Last edited by the-nuke; September 15th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Page 12 of 184 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast