Page 158 of 184 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

1) Xubuntu 14.10 64-bit
    2) HP
    3) Pavilion g7 Notebook PC (B5Z48UA#ABA)

1) Won't boot with open source drivers for the Trinity [Radeon HD 7520G] card unless nomodeset is specified in the grub options. Will boot with third party drivers but needs the updates version.
    2) Brightness controls don't work even with third party drivers.

Both of these were introduced at 14.10 - worked fine on 14.04

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Compaq Presario CQ61

All works well apart from HDMI out to TV.....still fighting to have sound as well as video!!

Beans

Cool Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Compaq presario C500
    Ubuntu 14.04LTS

All works well, no issues.......

Beans

Laptop: HP Zbook 17 G1 (F1J74UT, i7-4700MQ, Quadro K3100M)
    Version: UbuntuGnome 14.10

Notes:

The Quadro card appears to not be supported by nouveau, so I booted the installation media and system with "nouveau.modeset=0" to disable it entirely until I have the Nvidia driver installed. This is both with hybrid graphics enabled or disabled in the bios. This may be a specific incompatibility with the GK104 series and may not be needed if you have a GK107 based card. The 331.89 Nvidia drivers appear to work great with the Quadro once installed. I can even warm dock the machine to external lcd's without issue. Suspend and resume works as expected. I use it with hybrid graphics enabled in the bios, but without the "enhanced display feature" checked because periodically it would bootup without detecting the intel card at all. For some reason if you have hybrid graphics disabled in the bios then you loose the ability to control backlight brightness on the lcd out of the box. This may be something specific to the 3.16 kernels as I think it worked on earlier 3.13 kernels under 14.04LTS.

Audio out works both via the dock to speakers, as well as internal laptop speakers. If you plug in headphones it mutes everything else as expected. The internal mic above the lcd works fine, as does the camera. Plugging my headphones in shuts off the internal mic and causes it to instead use the one in the headphones. The mute button above the keyboard works as expected.

The internal intel nic works great, both docked and directly plugged into the laptop. The intel centrino 6235AN wifi works ok. I haven't experienced any drops yet the few times I have used it. I have not tested the intel bluetooth device, but it is detected and should behave as well as other laptops that have this chip. The airplane mode button above the keyboard also works as expected.

Storage wise this machine has space for a mSATA SSD, two 2.5" HDDs/SSDs, and an optical drive or additional SSD/HDD in its place. All four slots can operate in SATA6 mode if an SSD is connected. I have Ubuntu installed on an mSATA SSD and dual boot it fine with Windows 8.1 installed to a 2.5" SSD. It is necissary to create an EFI "custom boot" entry in the bios if you have EFI enabled, as it will otherwise always attempt to boot from the "OS Boot Manager" first and ignore any custom EFI boot options that ubuntu creates during installation. Secure boot works fine as well if it is needed.

Battery life with hybrid graphics disabled appears to be around 2.5 hours light usage with wifi enabled. With hybrid graphics enabled (and the intel prime profile selected in the Nvidia control panel) it looks to be about 5 hours of light usage. I don't have an extended slice battery to test it with but I would hope that it works ok.

Overall it works pretty well but this shouldn't be suprising as I think this is one of the machines that are available as a certified pre-install for Ubuntu.

Beans

1)Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    2)Dell
    3)XPS 15

No problems installing and running Ubuntu on this laptop. However, due to the insane screen resolution, things tend to be very small and hard to see.

Beans

1. X ubuntu 14.04
    2. Sony
    3. Vaio Vgn FS285H

Everything is OK except shift button on keyboard since ver xubuntu 12. it is still not working

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Acer
    Aspire R7 571
    non flipping screen, legacy-boot 4 ubuntu and uefi for win8

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Sony
    Vaio vpceb2ze
    with SSD and HD-bay, multiboot over grub.

Easy Peasy 2.0
    Samsung
    N220 very nice !

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Toshiba
    Sattelite M70-375 (2006) with SSD and HD-bay, multiboot over grub (XP and win7).
    Last edited by wepbep; December 4th, 2014 at 12:18 PM.

Beans

Thinkpad T500 2241-CC1

I am using the internal graphics card not the ATI card

All functions keys seem to be working ( what I have used ) sound , brighness ( though this could be better).

Wireless works out of the box. This thinkpad has no fingerprint reader and no Bluetooth card and no camera.

Power systems seem to work but my battery is old need new one. I do not use hibernate or sleep on my computers not even windows, that said I know if I had the system lock when I close the down the screen it will need to reboot to get the screen back. Otherwise functions great.
    Last edited by dave157; December 6th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1) Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    2) Dell
    3) Inspiron 8600

Everything seems to be working ok. The only issue is probably around the media keys (i.e. volume control buttons, mute button, play/pause, etc). They aren't immediately responsive and require either a prolonged press or double press to be detected.
    [OS] Dual Boot Windows XP SP3 and Xubuntu 14.04.1 32-Bit [Notebook] Dell Inspiron 8600 [BIOS] A14
    [CPU] Intel Pentium M 1.80GHz (forcepae flag required)
    [RAM] 1 GB [Video Card] 128 MB Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO Turbo

Beans

1) Ubuntu 14.10
    2) Lenovo
    3) G50-45 Ideapad (A6-6310 APU Model)

Issues: Random freeze (requires forced reboot) and annoying clicking/cracking sound (at random interval) which I think is coming from the hard drive.
    Other than that all the hardware are detected properly and runs properly out of the box.

1)Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

On the same machine has no freeze issues and no annoying clicking/cracking sound.

Issues: ElanTech Touchpad is not recognised properly and acts likes a PS/2 mouse so no synaptic drivers meaning no two finger scrolling.
    The default driver does not work properly, but after switching to fglrx-proprietory AMD driver everything is silky smooth.
    Last edited by raj-pradeep-kumar; December 15th, 2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: installing 14.04.1 LTS has a different usable experience for the sake fo comparision I have amended the new info

Page 158 of 184 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast