Page 143 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Laptop: Acer Aspire 1810TZ

Beans

Laptop: HP Envy TM m7-j078ca with pre-installed windows 8.

Wanted to install 13.04 in dual mode with windows 8, but couldn't get it to work. Various problems including the graphics drivers (nomodeset and text helped, but then I was stuck) and some SCSI problems (common problem apparently: Live CD hangs upon boot at "Attached removable SCSI device") prevented me from installing.

Switchted to 12.04.02 LTS. The LiveUSB booted up no problem. I prepared the free space for Ubuntu to use in Windows 8. As opposed to earlier Windows versions, this is not nearly as painful as I feared. Shrinking the partition might be a bit tricky due to "unmovable" files, but some basic googling helps you out with that. Basically, deavtivate System Restore points and set the swap file size to 0, then shrink the partition to the desired size and reactivate those features.

Installation went quite painlessly. Wireless, Sound and those special keys worked out of the box. The touchscreen also works out of the box. I'd like to have the tablet-like one-finger scrolling in browsers and PDF readers, but that will have to wait.

One thing that I had to do was right after the installation boot again from the LiveUSB to run BootRepair, because the system would only boot intow Windows 8. After running BootRepair, I can now boot into both Ubuntu and Windows 8 no problem.

What did NOT work was installing proprietary drivers for the Geforce 740M despite the driver notes on nvidia.com telling me it should be support in their latest driver. The problem might be the "switchable graphics" aspect: In addition to the NVIDIA card, there's also the integrated on-chip graphics from the haswell processor. I messed around quite a lot with that and got nothing to work, so I said screw it and went back to the nouveau driver plus libgl-mesa. I'm relatively sure however that 3D accelleration doesn't work everywhere since glxspheres only gives me a framerate of 60 fps where I'd expect much more with such a high-end graphics card.

A feature that I haven't tested because I don't care for it is the fingerprint sensor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Acer Aspire One AOD-150 netbook

Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04: Installs fine, runs a bit sluggishly, and almost everything works except for suspending when closing the lid. Closing the lid will result in the screen cycling through various brightness levels and the GUI being rendered unusable, forcing a reboot. Even if you disable suspending when closing the lid under power options it will still do this. For this alone I don't recommend installing Ubuntu on this laptop.

Lubuntu 13.04: Installs fine, runs quickly, and almost everything works except for suspending when closing the lid. When closing the lid it will simply turn off the screen instead of suspending but will not effectively lock up the machine like on Ubuntu. Suspending using Fn-F4 works fine. Overall seems to be a good fit for this laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Novatech nSpire Pro 2450 runs fine under Ubuntu 13.04 and other versions, the graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 540M, 8GB Ram, 500GB HD & it's an intel Core i5.

Beans

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3612QM
    GPU: Intel HD 4000 + nVidia GT 630M
    RAM: 8GB

Linux Mint 14/15 Cinnamon 64-bit (Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 compatible)
    Everything works fine, standard bumblebee required to run nVidia graphics (so no "Lenovo hack" required)

Beans

Re: Desktop Hardware Compatibility List.

Ubuntu 13.04
    Acer Aspire One 260 (Netbook)
    Intel Atom N455 "Pineview" @ 1.66 Ghz (1 core-2 threads, PAE, x86 i686)
    Kingston DDR 3 1 Gb Ram @ 667 Mhz (can be upgraded to 2 Gb)
    Intel GMA 3150 onboard graphics
    Intel HD audio (AC 97 compliant) soundcard
    Western Digital HDD SATA 160 Gb (5400 rpm)
    Elantech Touchpad + Logitech USB mouse

Graphics are capable of running Unity even with effects enabled (!)
    Soundcard can handle Pulse and Jack but not with low-latency/real-time kernel enabled (due to low RAM capacity)
    No problems with network cards (Ethernet/Wi-fi)
    No problems with webcam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1) Using ubuntu 13.04 64 bit

2) HP 2000 notebook

3) No issues. Everything is great!
    -Jonathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

ASUS K55VM with Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. Nvidia Optimus and prime gets automatically installed and everything works out of the box on this laptop. With Ubuntu 12.04.3, nvidia is installed automatically along with nvidai-prime and kernel 3.8 from raring. Nvidia works well right out of the box and there is switching between nvidia and intel via the nvidia blob but dont expect total switch off like in Windows or Bumblebee. Also Bumblebee can't be installed as it clashes with nvidia-prime package and the xorg conf setup by it. The laptop is a ivybridge i7 with nvidia 630M chip.
    Last edited by Linuxisfast; September 3rd, 2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: addenda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Talking Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Ubuntu 13.04

Acer Aspire

V3-571-G
    Intel i7-3610QM

All works fine.
    Haven't tried using the NVIDIA Graphics, as it is a OPTIMUS card.
    The Intel Graphics work fine.
    Last edited by roland_1953; August 31st, 2013 at 07:47 AM. Reason: omission

Beans

I have used long time a Dell M1330 with Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 10.04 and 12.04. It has worked perfectly (wireless, bluetooth, mouse, keyboard, screen adaptors, ethernet, mobile broadband). I think Dell is one of teh best options for Ubuntu compatibility.

Daniel.

Page 143 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast