Page 45 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

1)Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64-bit (Windows 7 dual-boot)
    2)Toshiba
    3)L655-S5060

Audio jack didn't work but a quick search through some forums fixed that. Wished the function buttons worked, but can deal without them. Have to have wireless on before launching because there isn't any other way to turn it on. New to Linux, switched due to the Blue Screen of Death on Windows 7. Windows 7 was reinstalled with ubuntu and windows still works well, but not used much. Try some other Linux OS from live USB, didn't do much testing with them but they seemed to work fine.

Sometimes it won't go into sleep mode and is locked up when screen is opened up. A simple reboot fixes it though, nothing major.
    Last edited by powderboarder; February 15th, 2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Left out information

Beans

Cool Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

sony vaio VPCEB33FX

wifi, hotkeys ethernet volume keys and screen brightness keys work out OOB

smooth installation with 10.04 when i loaded 10.1 it would load then have a boot error, so it was easier to go with 10.04

however the Realtek ALC269 soundcard does not work, no sound from headphones or speakers. I am working on this issue and will repost if/when I resolve

also the touch pad does not work yet

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Antique Dell Latitude D800 (1.4 Ghz Pentium M) with BIOS version A02. Need to run proprietary NVIDIA driver for video to work correctly. My BIOS version doesn't support USB-boot, haven't updated BIOS yet. Suspend/resume & hibernate not working for me, but I haven't really worked to fix it. Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.1.

EDIT: Updated BIOS to the latest version A13; now I can boot from USB.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; May 29th, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: updated BIOS
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu version: 10.10 x64
    Make: Lenovo ThinkPad
    Model: T400 (2764CTO)

Almost everything is perfect OOB, needs work for HDAPS, Switchable Graphics and some function keys. Volume is sometimes slightly iffy but works otherwise.
    Time is short, and life is crazy. Make the best of both.
    Mark as [SOLVED] so we know where to look for resolutions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Acer Aspire 1410 (Today's Aspire One 723) works well out-of-the-box with Ubuntu Maverick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Version: Maverick 10.10
    Maker: Gateway
    Model: LT3103U netbook

No setup issues, all functions work fine. Targus USB Bluetooth worked out of the box, no special video drivers needed, wifi worked right away, but closing the lid can sometimes disrupt wireless for rest of network for a moment. Otherwise works fine.
    Last edited by pavemen; February 18th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

Version: Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04, 9.10
    Maker: ACER
    Model: 5536
    Totally garbage!
    ATI Radeon HD3200 GPU is supported well but too hot. Temperature goes up to 60 degrees. After installing dedicated proprietary driver from AMD.com site temperature goes down to 40 degree. reduced power usage.
    M780G Chipset is not supported by linux kernel well. South-bridge chip goes too hot and may burn hard-drive at 62 degrees. I can even smell solders are melting there! I do not have this problem under windows 7 only when I install I dedicated drivers from ACER.com site. No linux drivers provided there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

[1] Version Of Ubuntu: Maverick 10.10
    [2] Laptop Maker: Lenovo
    [3] Laptop Model: G550 2958

My complete specs are in my signature. This machine works out of the box with Ubuntu (also had 10.04 on previously). No issues with wifi or graphics - although Ubuntu does tell me to install the recommended proprietary driver for Nvidia. I have done this (some of the time) and no issues with this either.
    Lenovo G550 2958 | X64 | Mobile Intel GM45 Express | NVIDIA GeForce G105M | 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 | Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor (X9100) | Crucial 8GB SODIMM DDR3 | Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh].

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.04 (with tons of backports and updated development kernels and drivers)
    Dell e1705
    Ati x1400 videocard (OS driver)

Everyhting works on this laptop, from the Fn key buttons to the audio up and down buttons on the front, and the wifi.

The only minor issue is the balance between the subwoofer and the speakers is not right on a fresh install.

Use the GNOME ALSA Mixer to adjust the sound and make it feel right.

PS: The current Xorg development branches Gallium 3D driver is so good on this videocard that TF2 works via wine with the "correct settings" at near native windows level of performance. Also native linux games work amazing! Penumbra works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

1) Ubuntu 10.04
    2) Alienware (Dell)
    3) M11x

Works almost flawlessly with a few exceptions:

Problem:
    1) Microphone doesnt work
    2) it wont boot with the 'switch graphic card' option set in BIOS. It will only work with NVIDIA only or Intel only (depending on the graphic card used while installing ubuntu)

Page 45 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast