Page 27 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

IBM T41 (2373 -4WU) works flawlessly with Lucid Lynx 32-bit. Everything works right out of the box. I have two and tried on both machines.
    Interestingly, 10.10 does not work at all--I can't get it to install off of the various media devices I tried to use. Ditto both machines.
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans

I have Compaq Presario CQ40-605LA Notebook PC...
    Please lest me know everything That I need to know thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HP Pavillion DM3 13 inch laptop with 10.10 (I chose 32 bit even tho' the AMD is 64 bit) works reasonably well except for issues with closing the laptop cover. In "suspend" at random times you can't come back and have to reboot. The screen stays black except for a frozen cursor. In Skype, the volume of the mic starts to decrease as you speak until it reaches zero! Then you have to push it back up to max.

In 10.04.1 32 bit: need latest driver from unstable Alsa and Pulse Audio needs to be installed to get HDMI working. In addition, the internal audio needs to be turned off and the HDMI needs to be selected. Additional drivers utility needs to be run for proprietary drivers to be installed if you want to use Skype. ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver to be exact.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

1)Version Of Ubuntu - 10.10
    2)Laptop Maker - Acer
    3)Laptop Model - Aspire 4551G-N832G32

Out of the box, I was getting an 'NTLDR is missing' at bootup. Clean install without doing anything special, everything works fine so far (except for a system crash problem with launching Mixx). Initially there was no sound, but after possibly an update and/or restart it worked fine. I didn't take any special measures to fix the problem.

In short, plug 'n play - good to go!

Beans
    Distro

1) 10.10
    2) Dell
    3) XPS M1710

Eveything works pretty much perfectly, except for some wierd graphics problems. But there are some workarounds which fix them.

Beans
    Distro

1) 10.04 LTS
    2) Sony Vaio
    3) SZ 23 GP

Installed for a client (his Windows XP took 15~20 minutes to fully start...., now the laptop starts in less than 40 seconds). Worked out of the box for everything, except the internal Webcam, but I have already found a solution. Still need to try, will update this message with the result.

Have some troubles with the brightness control, it does not work. Also, need to attempt some fix, and will update the message.

Cheers,
    S.

EDIT: Webcam fine ! Found the correct driver, packed in .deb and installed (Ricoh webcam, with WDM mode). For the brightness found a solution, but too risky as the kernel needed to recompile, so I have preferred not to do (anyway, is stuck at the maximum, which is fine).
    Last edited by typhoon_tip; November 25th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu 10.04 NBR
    ASUS
    Eee PC 900

Everything works (Function keys, Wifi, WebCam)

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Laptop COMPATABILITY List.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
    ASUS
    UL30a (X32A)

WebCam upside down, Function keys do not work, system frequently hangs until a key on the keyboard is pressed.

Beans
    Distro

I have a Toshiba satellite L350, Now installed 10.10
    Its worked pretty good before, except for some Alsa/sound issues.

Now with 10.10 there is a problem with overheating. The fan speed wont adjust to cpu temp. Havent found a solution yet. Also issue with putting computer in "suspend". Now I can never come return. Always freezes up. I have to force reebot. This used to be my solution to increase fan speed (just suspend and log in agaion) but now suspend seems to freeze.

Otherwise very happy with performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 10.10 Dell Recovery remake of dvd works great on Dell 1735. I tried to make the Dell Recovery remake with a cd, but kept getting stuck in a boot loop.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Page 27 of 184 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast