Page 166 of 184 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Running Ubuntu Wily 15.10 on Toshiba CB30 chromebook. All running perfectly well, just had to remap a few bits off the keyboard. All good.

Beans

1) (X)ubuntu 14.04.3
    2) Lenovo
    3) Thinkpad E540

Except hibernation, everything works fine, with some additional effort. See elaborate guide here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2312011 ( Installing Xubuntu 14.04 on Lenovo Thinkpad E540 )

Beans

On Dell 5540, i5-5210, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, docked.
    Ubuntu 14.04->OK
    UbuntuGNOME 15.10->OK
    Xubuntu 15.10->OK with a problem of invisible mouse pointer. Fixed changing from LightDM to GDM. After suspend, computer wakes up but monitor does not. I guess is a problem related to the docking station, which I have not fixed, yet. Driver of the monitor (Dell U2212HM) seem not available for Linux. So, at the moment Suspend is not usable. Despite this issue, Xubuntu 15.10 is currently the only OS I use on this machine that is my primary one.
    UbuntuMATE 15.10-> OK, same mouse pointer problem as Xubuntu. Did not check Suspend.

Not really ubuntu related, but just for information:
    Fedora23->OK
    Fedora23 XFCE ->OK
    ArchLinux->No way, no network connection after booting Live
    Manjaro->very unstable, unusable

Ok, for the last two I did not have enough time to find a fix, basically I gave up. Maybe they can be used with some tweaks.
    My feeling is that this computer (docked) works generally better with Gnome DE (both Ubuntu and Fedora did not have any issue).

Lenovo M30-70, I3 4030u, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD
    Xubuntu 15.10->OK

Lenovo B70-30, I3 4030u, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD
    Xubuntu 15.04.->OK

Dell Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM, 80GB HHD
    Lubuntu 14.04->OK
    Xubuntu 14.04->OK (sometimes wi-fi connection drops, though. Did not investigate too much, since it's basically used off-line).
    Last edited by gladius2; February 5th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Toshiba SATELLITE P50-C running Wiley Werewolf, tested against Ubuntu studio and Lubuntu.

No major problems except the Intel chip-set isn't fully supported by the open source driver, however the proprietary driver is available through the repos. Similarly, minor irritation with Nvidia Optimus, but easily installed solutions available through repos. I gave a much fuller report in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post13442920

Irvine

Beans

1) Ubuntu version: 14.04
    2) Laptop maker: Asus
    3) Laptop model: X751LJ-TY151T

Works perfectly well (internal mic & webcam, WiFi, touchpad, etc.).
    Last edited by pubalapoub; February 21st, 2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Provided the exact model # (instead of just X751L)

Beans

1) Ubuntu version: 15.10
    2) Laptop maker: Microsoft
    3) Laptop model: Surface Book

Requires a custom kernel after which everything works except for the touchscreen/pen. Includes volume control buttons.

Beans

Ubuntu: 15.10
    Manufacturer: Lenovo
    model: Edge 15 model 80K9 (Core i3 6GB ram 500 HDD)

Not sure if this Edge is separate from the earlier ThinkPad Edge models that are prominently noted in this thread, but the installation and operation seems flawless have yet to find any problem. Compared to my dell xps, what a relief.

Beans

Ubuntu: 1510
    Manufacturer: Lenovo
    Model: T450s (i7, 12GB RAM)

Everything works flawlessly out of the box. Even the broadband internet with my LTE sim card works, however it sometimes refuses to connect...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

1) Xubuntu 15.10
    2) Lenovo
    3) Ideapad 300 15ISK Model # 80Q7

Xubuntu 15.10 installed ok, but 802.11AC wireless (rtl8821ae) fails. It connects but does not function.

For default kernel (4.2.0-25) upgrading laptop BIOS solved.

Later kernels exhibit the same wireless behaviour as before BIOS upgrade. To solve this (at time of writing):

git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
    cd rtlwifi_new
    sudo make install
    sudo restart now

Wifi fails after suspend/sleep. To fix this create /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_wireless_sleep:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    case "$1" in
      suspend|hibernate)
     	/sbin/rmmod rtl8821ae
      ;;
      resume|thaw)
    	/sbin/rmmod rtl8821ae
    	/sbin/modprobe rtl8821ae
      ;;
    esac

exit 0
    then:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_wireless_sleep
    Touch pad sometimes goes a bit loopy. Slow unresponsive jittery cursor for 10-30 seconds or so. Does not appear to be a fix.
    Last edited by simonn; March 2nd, 2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Compliance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi2 View Post
    HP EliteBook 6930p with Intel Centrino vPro Core2Duo CPU. This computer was made around the year 2007 and is designed to be strong and durable in terms of tolerance to heat and vibrations.
    I bought it used in 2015. It worked with Ubuntu Studio v14.04.x LTS but sometimes would have a kernel panic on random boots until I implemented some kernel commands which I will share with you here.
    Now it boots without any kernel panics nor errors.

The trick because of BIOS discrepancies is to disable both ACPI and PNPBIOS and to set the system id to Linux instead of letting it's default be for Microsoft Windows.
    Also, to implement this, I used a Puppy Linux boot loader known as GRUB4DOS. GRUB4DOS is a text based boot loader menu which is editable as /menu.lst

Here is my GRUB4DOS menu.lst on a dual boot system with an older version of Puppy Linux installed. Each choice for Ubuntu Studio has different things enabled or disabled so that if you need to try to boot with ACPI or PNPBIOS on you can try. Also, HyperThreading is disabled by default if you disable ACPI unless you use a specific kernel command for that ("acpi=ht"). Then there are commands at the end for rebooting or shutting down. The main idea is to allow the sytem to boot either as a maximum stable default, or to try and see if it boots without the kernel panics which don't always happen. Good luck.

EDIT: OK I just reformatted this system and installed 64-bit Lubuntu v14.04.3 LTS on it instead of 32-bit Ubuntu Studio v14.04.3 and it seems more stable on booting.
    I still have to do some more work on it to see how well it runs, but it seems improved. I won't be doing Digital Audio Workstation work on this install, and I didn't install Wine on it yet either.
    But the kernel options aren't necessary. Also I didn't install Puppy Linux on it this time. But I did install some typical Ubuntu things like the Software Center and gedit and gParted and it seems fine.
    Bearing in mind that yoshi is no longer using Puppy, I just wanted to point out (for anyone who is interested in dual-booting with Puppy) that, following old_fred's misgivings about using Grub4DOS, due to it's being unsupported, and lack of development, etc., the version of Grub4DOS used by Puppy is fully patched and up-to-date. It's been 'tweaked' specifically to run with Puppy's rather unique booting requirements, and is maintained by the community developers.

IF using Puppy in the system, it will boot literally anything, too! And it's far easier to use Grub4DOS, which will pick up all/any 'buntu-based installs, than it is to try and figure out a menu-entry for Puppy in GRUB2.

*I repeat, this particular version of Grub4DOS is perfectly safe to use.*

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; March 2nd, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Page 166 of 184 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast