Page 164 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 1834

Thread: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Beans

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

My Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-10U works fine with Ubuntu 14.04.

Beans

Macbook 2x Intel Core Duo CPU works Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

1. 64 bit Ubuntu 14.10 works
    2. Apple
    3. Macbook Intel duo core

There are some issues with battery management (not switching of at low battery setting)
    and some problems are popping up after suspend mode.

Beans

Thumbs up Ubuntu 12.04 / 14.04 on Dell XPS 14z (L412z): temperature and touchpad issues solved

Since Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin), I've been using it on my Dell XPS 14z (L412z) having to fix some issues related to temperature (including HDD palm heating) and touchpad strange behaviour (touch pad behaving erratically).

I have already listed all the solutions I used in this old thread.

But this is an update for the Dell XPS 14z (L412z) with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr).

For beginners:
    - The blue tips are command lines that should be executed in Terminal (type 'Ctrl + Alt + T' to open the Terminal).
    - You can copy and paste on the Terminal (use 'Shift + Insert' instead of 'Ctrl + V').
    - The "$" symbol should not be copied.

*** TOUCHPAD SENSIBILITY ISSUE ON DELL XPS 14Z WITH UBUNTU 14.04 LTS ***

After the installation, the mouse pointer keeps shaking and jumping on the screen when you use the touchpad. Here's the solution:

Change the HorizHysteresis and VertHysteresis values on the synclient for 48. Do this:
    - Check the current value (should be 8):
    $ synclient | grep HorizHysteresis && synclient | grep VertHysteresis

- Change value to 72 on each (first I tried 48, with goog results also):
    $ synclient HorizHysteresis=72 && synclient VertHysteresis=72

- These tweaks will be lost after system restart. To make the changes permanent, you'll have to create and edit a xorg.conf file. Do this:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

- It will open a blank text file. Insert the following content and save the file:

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "VertHysteresis" "72"
    Option "HorizHysteresis" "72"
    EndSection

*** TEMPERATURE ISSUE AND BATTERY LIFE ON DELL XPS 14Z WITH UBUNTU 14.04 LTS ***

After these tweaks, the CPU temperature will run in about 40 up to 48ºC with regular use (this is OK), and up to 80ºC when gaming (my alarm is set to 85ºC). The HDD temperature will decrease to 36 up to 41ºC.

1. Install and configure lm-sensors and cpufrequtils:
    $ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors cpufrequtils indicator-cpufreq
    $ sudo sensors-detect

(confirm all options with "y")

2. Install Psensor to keep track of your CPU and HD temperature:
    $ sudo apt-get install psensor
    (choose to activate "hddtemp" on boot when asked)

- After install it will execute automaticaly on system startup.
    - You can block it on the launcher to see it permanently (the launcher icon has a neat temperature indicator).

3. To decrease Hard Disk temperature (the uncomfortable heating on your left palm hand, where the HDD hardware is set), you will have to install laptop-mode-tools and follow the instructions on the link below:
    $ sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools

- Edit laptop-mode.conf file:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf

- Find (Ctrl + F) the bellow text and change value to 600:
    NOLM_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=7200

- Find (Ctrl + F) the bellow texts and change both values to 1:
    LM_AC_HD_POWERMGMT=254
    NOLM_AC_HD_POWERMGMT=254

4. Use Powertop (from Intel) software to tweak some power consumption settings (I haven't tried this in 14.04):
    $ sudo apt-get install powertop
    $ sudo powertop --calibrate

(wait)
    $ sudo powertop
    (change "Bad" values to "Good" using keyboard arrows and 'Enter'. Type 'Esc' when finished.) -- this is not 100% tested.

*** GETTING THE HYBRID GRAPHICS TO WORK ON DELL XPS 14Z WITH UBUNTU 14.04 LTS ***

This laptop comes with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M 1GB graphics and with an Intel HD Graphics 3000. The Nvidia’s Optimus technology should be able to decide which graphic to use according to the need, but Linux lacks support for that. With no configuration, the NVIDIA will run forever and consume unnecessary battery life besides heating the laptop. To solve that, we need to install the nvidia proprietary driver and an app called nvidia-prime.

1. Select (and install) the nvidia proprietary driver
    - Open the dash (super/windows key) and type in "drivers". Open "Aditional drivers" Select the first nvidia binary driver on the list. The one that ends with "(proprietary, tested)".
    - Click "apply changes". Wait for the driver to be downloaded and installed, and click close.

2. Install and configure nvidia driver and nvidia-prime:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get purge bumblebee*
    $ sudo apt-get install nvidia-prime

3. Now restart your computer.

4. After your computer has restarted, open the dash and type "nvidia". Open "Nvidia x-server settings" and choose which graphics you want to use.

- Refers to:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/41245...a-prime-gt650m

=============================================
    Dell XPS 14z specs:
    2nd generation Intel® CoreTM i7-2640M processor (2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.50 GHz)
    8GB* 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4GB)
    750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M 1GB graphics
    and Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Optimus technology)
    9.5mm SATA Slot Load DVD+/-RW
    Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS
    Last edited by samuelcersosimo; August 23rd, 2015 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frank75 View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu MATE' on my Dell D420, 1.2GHz Core Duo, 1.5GB of RAM and also on my Dell D630, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM. Of course I've changed out wifi cards to Intel 802.11n versions so there's no issue with the Broadcom wifi cards that came with the laptops but other then that it runs great.
    Could you tell me where you bought the wireless Intel card? Any tutorial to change it? Does your laptop have intel or nvidia graphics card? Thank you.

Edit: I've just noticed, that this is just for posting compatible laptops. Could the administrator have this post removed? Thank you.
    Last edited by ckrles; September 5th, 2015 at 01:55 AM.

Beans

Pardon my ignorance, but I only see Advanced Search above. Is there any way to search just this thread? I'm looking for the HP Envy X2. There are many, many pages!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Red face Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

I recently installed Unbuntu 15.04 on the following laptop :

1. Compaq F700
    2. AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 × 2
    3. 2.8 gig's of ram

i had to connect a ethernet cable to install the nvidia and amd cpu microcode ( i believe that's what it's called.)

So far...so good.
    Last edited by nevets68; October 27th, 2015 at 08:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Dell Inspiron 1464, 4 GB ram, I3, Lubuntu, (and Ubuntu 14.04 if you don't have the same issues as me)

Everything works, other than some screen tearing and very occasional slowness, which I think is just the computer itself, because ive tried numerous Distros and two windows versions.

You need to get the 3rd party Broadcom wifi drivers and it can be a pain because sometimes they wont activate. What works the best is to get a Mini Wifi adapter (like the one for Raspberry pi) and go into the Drivers and Software tool, and reboot afterwards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lenovo Ideapad Y-530
    IBM
    Ubuntu 14.04LTS
    Works perfectly, except for the touch sensible music equalizer panel, those have proprietary driver and cannot be found to be installed on Ubuntu.
    The touch sensible Playback pannel, works perfectly with Rhythm box and movie player, non responsible with VLC player.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Acer Aspire One D-150
    Acer
    Ubuntu 15.04
    Works perfectly except when connected to a projector. VGA output voids laptop screen and only way to restore is hard shutdown.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 6QE-002. This version has a Skylake processor. Mine has 2 SSD's, one a SATA drive on which Windows 10 was installed and one a PCIe drive on which I installed Ubuntu. The laptop is fully compatible, at least with Ubuntu 14.04. I couldn't get 15.10 to work, but didn't spend much time trying, because I preferred 14.04 anyway.

Here are a few pointers for anyone wanting to do the same thing:

1. FastBoot and SafeBoot should be disabled in the BIOS. If FastBoot is on, you will get a grub command line rather than the grub menu. SafeBoot might not actually cause any problems but seemed pointless so I turned it off. Otherwise you can use the default BIOS settings.

2. The laptop has a Nvidia 970M graphics card. The install image includes the open source driver for this card, and this requires the "nomodeset" kernel flag. You cannot boot the install image without this flag. On the other hand, after you've installed the proprietary graphics driver (which you should do because the open source version is useless), you'll be stuck at the graphical log in if you have supplied the nomodeset flag. So, first boot the installation image with the nomodeset flag, do the installation, and update to the proprietary driver. Then reboot without the flag.

3. The laptop comes with Killer WiFi, but I had this replaced with an Intel WiFi card, which worked out of the box. I don't believe the Killer will work out of the box but you can find instructions on these fora for getting it working.

Its a nice laptop, fully compatible, and XoticPC was a good place to buy it.

Matthew Fleming

Page 164 of 184 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast