Thread: Printer Canon Pixma MG6250 fails with large photos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Printer Canon Pixma MG6250 fails with large photos

Hi!

I have a Canon Pixma MG6250 printer, working nicely with W8, but when I try to print lagre photos from Ubuntu, it fails. At least sometimes it works printing smaller (10 x 15 cm). The printing process starts in Gwenview or Digicam, and then processes nicely. The printer says "Processing" and then, after a while, just returns to a ready state. I have tried with several ubuntu computers, running 13.04, 13.10, 14.04 and 14.40. I've tried several versions of the driver supplied in the list (adding printer i kubuntu or Unity). I should say that the printer did work, printing A4 photos, as late as december. Is there any update that might have caused this, or am I experiencing intermittent problems (it takes a long time to diagnose this, as one attempt to print might last 10 minutes, so I'm feeling quite lost).

I have tried the driver from Canon, at http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...inux&language=. Running the install.sh here, provides me the output:

magnus@vista6:~/Downloads_done/cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb$ ./install.sh
    ==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver
    Version 3.60
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2011
    All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
    An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified.

So: anyone got any ideas on this?

Best,

Magnus

Beans

Re: Printer Canon Pixma MG6250 fails with large photos

Hi Magnus

An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified.
    ........folks think this happens if the install script gets a whiff of an rpm package on your debian based system; I don't know if that could be the case for you;

what the install script does is look to see if you have 32bit or 64bit; and if you are debian or rpm; so one can easily do the install in a more manual way;

There is a folder called Packages inside the main folder of cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb

............ there will be a COMMON package and a specific one; for both 32bit and 64bit: install the COMMON one first; then the specific; of the type appropriate for you; ie 32 or 64bit;

you should be able to install by right-clicking on the packages; and selecting install with ubuntu center or double-clicking on them; or command line
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i whatevertherightnameis.deb
    Last edited by pdc; 5 Days Ago at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi!

Thanks, didn't realize I could do it manually.

However, I get a dependency error when installing the second package (cnijfilter-mg6200series_3.60-1_i386.deb ). It needs libtiff4, and I seem not to have nor be able to install it. I have libtiff5, however. I notice that this driver is from 2011, so maybe it is a bad idea altogether to try to install it?

Magnus

Beans

Hi Magnus;

my apologies for delay in replying;

easy to install libtiff4; definitely the thing to do so go here ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/ to the main Debian repository and go about 14 or 17 down the list and click to the download the 32bit or 64bit that you need; (you can see the first dozen or so on the list are libtiffdev which you don't want ..............)

once libtiff4 is installed, do re-run the install script and it should all go fine;

Ubuntu took away libtiff4 for some reason a couple of releases ago; the Canon drivers < version 4.0 needed libtiff4 so the above is to way to fix the issue