Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

Quote Originally Posted by alaukikyo View Post
    Is there a way to make the font bigger?
    It is now updated with a way to make the font more readable.
    I added step 7 which is all about making the font size much more readable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The example picture with the bigger font size has now been added at the bottom of the tutorial.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I changed 1920x1200x32 to 1920x1200-32 in Step 1. Not sure if that is what made my monitor click
    when booting up or not. This is what I have mine set to now and I have an nVidia GeForce 9800 GT card.
    The monitor was clicking 2 or 3 times at every boot. Now it does not click even once ever.

I also did a clean install 2 days ago from a Lucid Lynx 10.10.1 64 bit Desktop ISO found here.
    So, I am not sure which process fixed the monitor clicking, but I am happy that it no longer does.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I changed 1920x1200x32 to 1920x1200-24 in Step 1. This is based on your video card/driver.
    I have an nVidea card and in NVIDEA X Server Settings, it mentions 24 bit depth.

And my monitor started clicking again soon after I posted the previous comment. But, it is not caused by Ubuntu.
    It does it while rebooting with Windows 7 too. I know it is loosing sync, which is what the clicking is, but it has always
    done that since I got the PC. I was surprised that it went away temporarily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It all worked GREAT.... except one little artifact I can not explain...
    I used the same values and fonts as the example. In the GRUB2 menu option screen, the fonts of the selected line are chopped off by the top 25% or so. When I select down to subsequent lines it then chops off the top of each font as it progresses...... It seems to be some problem in the selected font?

Any ideas?
    Running 10.10 with 64 bit desktop with cloud.... Wish I could get desktop in the cloud working.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by saejin View Post
    It all worked GREAT.... except one little artifact I can not explain...
    I used the same values and fonts as the example. In the GRUB2 menu option screen, the fonts of the selected line are chopped off by the top 25% or so. When I select down to subsequent lines it then chops off the top of each font as it progresses...... It seems to be some problem in the selected font?

Any ideas?
    You could try changing the font size in step 7 which is currently --size=24. The 24 does not correspond to what we normally consider size 24 font though,
    I noticed this on one website:
    "FYI: I believe the "--size=" indicates point size but I'm not entirely sure (the documentation doesn't say). If it is based on the point scale I don't believe it is
    taking dpi into account since I tried "--size=72" on a 120dpi display and letters were only about half an inch tall (72 points is precisely one inch)."

I guess you could play around with it, but are you sure it is not the picture's size? What size is your resolution and picture size?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For Maverick Meerkat only, added a comment before step 7 that says not to create the font for GRUB2.
    And if you have the font listed in /etc/default/grub, you will need to comment it out with a # in front of it.

I upgraded to Maverick and thought the font was too big, so I tried a few things and then noticed that
    the font line was not even included. When I added it, it made it really look bad. So, I commented it out and it looks great.
    So, the default font has been made bigger apparently.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had upgraded to Maverick from Lucid and apparently things were quite a bit different than doing a clean install, which I did yesterday.
    Consequently I had made some errors in the tutorial with notes concerning Maverick which I have just fixed. There are only a couple of subtle
    differences with Maverick and the previous versions. If I caused anyone any harm, I appologize. But, everything should be good to go now
    for any flavour of Ubuntu especially using multiple operating systems, e.g. dual or tri-booting.

Beans

Hi guys!

I have migrate from Debian to Ubuntu 10.10 and this is tricky question because I want to know about Grub2 and mouserate in Debian and Ubuntu and Grub1 was something like this:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-686
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=791 usbhid.mousepoll=2
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686

And it works for me to have 500Hz mouse rate, now I want to know where to put this little thing:

usbhid.mousepoll=2

in Grub2

Any suggestions?

P.S.
    Don't tell me please to do it in other way because none of another way works for me even like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=215981
    So I must edit grub to have 500Hz mouse.

Thank you for future answer!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Emek View Post
    Hi guys!

I have migrate from Debian to Ubuntu 10.10 and this is tricky question because I want to know about Grub2 and mouserate in Debian and Ubuntu and Grub1 was something like this:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-686
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=791 usbhid.mousepoll=2
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686

And it works for me to have 500Hz mouse rate, now I want to know where to put this little thing:

usbhid.mousepoll=2

in Grub2

Any suggestions?

P.S.
    Don't tell me please to do it in other way because none of another way works for me even like this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=215981
    So I must edit grub to have 500Hz mouse.

Thank you for future answer!
    I see you posted this same question in this thread also:
    http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10060709&postcount=5
    I believe you are more likely to get help on this other thread.

You could also check this out:
    drs305 GRUB2 Tutorial

There are also a lot of links in drs305's signature.

I hope this helps!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast