Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 156

Thread: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Beans
    273
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Exclamation Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    I had a custom xrandr setup on my original install and making these grub changes lost it. The original grub mkconfig had this in it:

    Code:
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 0e8ef373-799f-4d11-8cca-3d8b4d4b6a94
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=1366x768
      insmod gfxterm
      insmod vbe
      if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
        # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
        # understand terminal_output
        terminal gfxterm
      fi
    fi
    Is there a way to add that to the file? I tried repeating my steps from when I first added the drivers, but xrandr isn't behaving the same way for some reason:

    Code:
    $ cvt 1366 768
    # 1368x768 59.88 Hz (CVT) hsync: 47.79 kHz; pclk: 85.25 MHz
    Modeline "1368x768_60.00"   85.25  1368 1440 1576 1784  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    $ xrandr --newmode "CUSTOM" 85.25  1368 1440 1576 1784  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode default "CUSTOM"
    $ xrandr --output default --mode "CUSTOM"
    xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1024x768 (desired size 1368x768)
    Before it let me do it thanks to xserver-xorg-video-intel, linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty, and linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-natty, but those don't seem to be applying any more with the new grub.
    This space for rent until I can think of something more witty.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfling Rogue View Post
    I had a custom xrandr setup on my original install and making these grub changes lost it. The original grub mkconfig had this in it:

    Code:
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 0e8ef373-799f-4d11-8cca-3d8b4d4b6a94
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=1366x768
      insmod gfxterm
      insmod vbe
      if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
        # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
        # understand terminal_output
        terminal gfxterm
      fi
    fi
    Is there a way to add that to the file? I tried repeating my steps from when I first added the drivers, but xrandr isn't behaving the same way for some reason:

    Code:
    $ cvt 1366 768
    # 1368x768 59.88 Hz (CVT) hsync: 47.79 kHz; pclk: 85.25 MHz
    Modeline "1368x768_60.00"   85.25  1368 1440 1576 1784  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    $ xrandr --newmode "CUSTOM" 85.25  1368 1440 1576 1784  768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode default "CUSTOM"
    $ xrandr --output default --mode "CUSTOM"
    xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1024x768 (desired size 1368x768)
    Before it let me do it thanks to xserver-xorg-video-intel, linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty, and linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-natty, but those don't seem to be applying any more with the new grub.

    I don't have any knowledge about xrandr. Perhaps you could ask drs305 on his Grub2 thread:
    The Grub 2 Guide by drs305
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I don't have any knowledge about xrandr. Perhaps you could ask drs305 on his Grub2 thread:
    The Grub 2 Guide by drs305
    Hehe. I was waiting to learn about it in this thread. I don't have an answer.
    GRUB2

    Retired.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    Quote Originally Posted by cavsfan View Post
    i don't have any knowledge about xrandr. Perhaps you could ask drs305 on his grub2 thread:
    the grub 2 guide by drs305
    Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    hehe. I was waiting to learn about it in this thread. I don't have an answer.
    LOL! I did a little research and found this solved thread:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724926

    Your setup doesn't sound very generic though. Your sig. says Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, you added xrandr and you mention Natty in the list of files at the bottom of your post.
    I left my setup pretty generic Lucid Lynx with the exception of I have the most current nVidia driver installed.
    I also have a script that installs the nVidia driver into a new kernel install (got that from a how to in this forum).

    That thread just says that it opened another thread in the "Multimedia & Video" and "Networking & Wireless" forums.
    But, it mentions that xrandr does not work very well with nVidia hardware.
    Do you have an ATI card and why is it you feel the need for xrandr?

    I have mixed things up and ended up having to do a clean install every time.
    Which is why I went back to the LTS and am leaving it as generic as possible.

    Let us know if you find a solution or if you can just get rid of xrandr.
    Good Luck!


    EDIT: I do not even find xrandr in Synaptic Package Manager on my system.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; December 30th, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    My latest grub2 screen. They get boring after a while and so I change them.


    I guess my latest screen mysteriously came back. Sweet!

    Last edited by Cavsfan; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: My screen came back
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    If any one wants to post their Grub2 screen on here, feel free. I posted my most current one "Dread Dog" above.
    I know it is a pain because you have to use a camera and upload it.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    I just added kernel Linux 2.5.32-40 and rebooted. It came up as the default. No changes necessary.
    Pretty sweet.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Beans
    4,679

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    Hi there. I'm questioning how user friendly we can make the grub boot screen for Win/Ubu dual booters in our environment. I have the idea of Deja Dup in my head, where the main screen is "BACKUP" and "RESTORE". Two giant buttons.

    Is there a way to cut out recovery mode and everything else and get a screen looking like that? Or am I still dreaming?
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

    Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3,476
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Hi there. I'm questioning how user friendly we can make the grub boot screen for Win/Ubu dual booters in our environment. I have the idea of Deja Dup in my head, where the main screen is "BACKUP" and "RESTORE". Two giant buttons.

    Is there a way to cut out recovery mode and everything else and get a screen looking like that? Or am I still dreaming?
    Not sure how you could make it any more simpler than this.

    If you look at my screen on this post, you'll see I have just 3 entries: Lucid Lynx, Lucid Lynx (Recovery) and Windows 7 and nothing else.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11594281&postcount=105

    If this is not what you're looking for, you should look at some of drs305's links. He knows a lot about grub2.
    The Grub 2 Guide by drs305

    Item number 20 on that page provides all of the links.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Unhappy Re: How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.

    I have 4 questions :

    - How to know my grub resolution (i am Ubuntu 11.10)
    - How to customize the top title in the GRUB (see attachments)
    - If i want to remove these settings is it safe to remove the 06_custom file
    - I have another Linux distribution (linux-deepin) so how to make the 4 lines-box for it ???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Naruto Man; April 1st, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add attachments

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •